No announcement yet.

Is this a standard miniUSB connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a standard miniUSB connection?

Hello,

I'm looking for a gps unit that can connect via bluetooth, serial port and USB, and came across the Holux GPSlim 236. It gets good reviews, but I have a question.

In the pdf manual is the pinout of the mini USB connection of the unit. Is this a standard pinout or have they fiddled with it?

(I like to know if I need to purchase the USB cable with it, or not...)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

USB as a standard has 4 pins not 5.
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

That's a standard mini-USB. Same kind used on my Canon camera and my Zen mp3 player. (Yes, 5 pins!)
      Last edited by Gurm; 7 November 2006, 05:05.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Well I never... how bizare.
        Asus P4C800-E Deluxe, Pentium 4 3GHz, 2Gb DDRRAM, Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ 512MB, Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital, 3x Iiyama 4637 18.1" TFTs, Audigy 2 ZS, Matrox RT.x100, Silentmaxx Acoustic Case

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          That's a standard mini-USB. Same kind used on my Canon camera and my Zen mp3 player. (Yes, 5 pins!)
          Thanks!

I was doubting wether or not they used the correct assignments for each of the pins... Cool, then I don't need to get their USB cable, and I can charge it from any USB port.

Enak: Most commonly, 1 pin is unused. I guess this is for future use (perhaps USB on-the-go?).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

This is a pretty common USB plug, just about everything tiny uses it nowadays.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks!
              I was just fearfull of manufacturers using a standard type plug (for cost), but using a custom pinout (to have you buy their accessories ). But perhaps such "tricks" are now less common than they used to be.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I always thought it was a USB- "AB"-type port maybe they couldn't define USB A or B either and just put both...
                All our Card readers use these connectors, have buckets of them at work....

Its the same port as on my Motorola V3 and V3i, best ever idea. I charge my phone on a USB cable connected to my PC at work, and I just need the cable to charge off any other PC, even a laptop if needed, and it does Data too !!!
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

I have a GPS Slim 240 - 21USD from ebay. Good stuff.
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                  X