GUILTY: Death by Hanging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUILTY: Death by Hanging

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- The Iraqi High Tribunal on Sunday sentenced a combative Saddam Hussein and two other defendants to death by hanging for a brutal crackdown in 1982 in the Shiite town of Dujail.

Despite a curfew, Iraqis in Baghdad spilled out into the streets to celebrate the verdict. But protests were held in Saddam Hussein's hometown.

"The Saddam Hussein era is in the past now, as was the era of Hitler and Mussolini," said Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, calling Hussein the worst ruler ever in Iraq.

"We want an Iraq where all Iraqis are equal before the law," he said. "The policy of discrimination and persecution is over."

The case will be automatically appealed to the Appellate Chamber of the Iraqi High Tribunal. The defense has 30 days to file any motions.

There is no limit to how long the appeals process can take.

The appeals process was likely to take three to four weeks once the formal paperwork was submitted, a court official told The Associated Press that

If the Appellate Chamber upholds the conviction and sentence, Hussein must be executed within 30 days.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 November 2006, 06:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

If he is topped, it will be a big mistake. He will become a martyr (with 72 virgins?) amongst the Sunnis who will exact revenge in a big way, especially against the US troops who will be blamed for all that has come to pass. The quality of mercy is not strained. It would be good strategy to commute his sentence to life without parole. In all probability, he will die within a few years, anyway, as I understand his health is precarious.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

And the Sunni's are behaving themselves now??

One of the main things driving the Sunni part of the insurgency is the futive hope that Saddam & the B'athists can return to power. A rope necktie precludes that.

Interesting historical note;

After his fathers disappearance & mothers mental breakdown he ran away to live with his uncle. That uncle was a high level member of a group that, with the support & training of the NAZI SS, tried to take over Iraq in 1941.

Saddam learned from the pro's.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 November 2006, 10:33.
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        And the Sunni's are behaving themselves now??

One of the main things driving the Sunni part of the insurgency is the futive hope that Saddam & the B'athists can return to power. A rope necktie precludes that.

Interesting historical note;

After his fathers disappearance & mothers mental breakdown he ran away to live with his uncle. That uncle was a high level member of a group that, with the support & training of the NAZI SS, tried to take over Iraq in 1941.

Saddam learned from the pro's.
        Sounds like a bad www2/nazi conspiracy movie
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not really. The SS caused trouble throughout the mideast that we have been dealing with ever since.

Another example: the founder of the Muslim Brotherhood & Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Amin al-Husseini was instrumental in establishing an Arab SS unit in the Balkans.

Interesting portion re: the holocaust;

The Mufti's knowledge about the holocaust while living in Nazi Germany has been debated with the Mufti himself denying any such knowledge after the war. Testimony presented at the Nuremberg trials, however, accused the Mufti of not only having knowledge about the holocaust but of also actively encouraging the initiation of extermination programs against European Jews.

Adolf Eichmann's deputy Dieter Wisliceny testified during his war crimes trial in 1946 that ... "The Mufti was one of the initiators of the systematic extermination of European Jewry and had been a collaborator and adviser of Eichmann and Himmler in the execution of this plan... He was one of Eichmann’s best friends and had constantly incited him to accelerate the extermination measures. I heard him say, accompanied by Eichmann, he had visited incognito the gas chambers of Auschwitz."
          His nephew and successor as leader of the Palestinian Nationalist movement: Mohammed Abdel-Raouf Arafat As Qudwa al-Hussaeini, better known as Yasser Arafat
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 5 November 2006, 11:11.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

What upsets me is that we did not see the trial, as I guess some of the things Saddam said didn't make the administrations happy. I think it's a bad idea. It is not going to help matters at all.

Comment

A public stoning would be more appropriate. In a Kurdish town perhaps.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                If he is topped, it will be a big mistake. He will become a martyr (with 72 virgins?) amongst the Sunnis who will exact revenge in a big way, especially against the US troops who will be blamed for all that has come to pass. The quality of mercy is not strained. It would be good strategy to commute his sentence to life without parole. In all probability, he will die within a few years, anyway, as I understand his health is precarious.
                Hard to sound authoritative with a limp wrist.. No wonder the Islamics see Brittania as an easy target with isolated bleeding hearts like yourself running things there. As horrible as it was, the Russians understood reality after the revolution.. they didn't even have a trial for the czar.. just shot him and his family to show there was no going back. It's so much easier with Saddam.. he's an evil mass murderer and there is no need to harm his family anymore. If you let him live, Iraqis would always have Saddam to rally behind.. like Napoleon or Khomeni. Better to be rid of him. You can't play lightly with such people.. if they are in your sights, you kill them. Do you want to be responsible for another Waterloo because of your misplaced "mercy," Mr. Ellis? Mercy is the purview of God. We humans must do what we must.
                Last edited by KvHagedorn; 5 November 2006, 21:05.

Comment

Or as put by the Marine DI's; "kill 'em all and let God sort it out."
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

So you guys are wanting to have more US/UK military killed in the increased armed protests against his martyrdom? Oh well, it will keep the troops in there longer and will be good for Halliburton's bottom line.

I don't really care about what he did in the past, that has happened and nothing can undo it now. I care about what is likely to happen in the future and that IS something we have some control over. Happily, the Iraqi President, unlike his Prime Minister, seems to have some more sensible and sensitive views.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Exactly.. so what happens in the future if we slap him on the wrist like good wishy-washy UN types? Lack of respect. Laughing behind our backs. Being taken for spineless. Being the old, weak, lame herd animal. And anyone with any common sense about animal behaviorism knows what happens to the old, weak, lame herd animal.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        Exactly.. so what happens in the future if we slap him on the wrist like good wishy-washy UN types? Lack of respect. Laughing behind our backs. Being taken for spineless. Being the old, weak, lame herd animal. And anyone with any common sense about animal behaviorism knows what happens to the old, weak, lame herd animal.
                        Sadly KvH, your the closest thing we have on this forum to an animal, you also exhibit most of the traits you claim to despise.

Now, just for a second can you all put away your 'gee paw, shootin dem niggas is gunna be fun tonight' attitude for just a few minuets and think carefully about what Brian is saying.

Now, don't get me wrong, I personally can think of many ways to send Saddam to the other side, most of which would take me about two months with several gallons of suplimental blood to complete.

However, lets just think back to how happy you all were to see whats his name, the one pilot who didn't get on the plane, locked away for life, instead of becoming a martyr.

Saddam couldn't give two flying f**ks about islam, but for all intents and purposes he will become a martyr for it. that is how the religous nutters are going to play it.

Whats his face has already slipped into anominity because of his fate, saddam would take a little longer, but a never to be released max security prison somewhere, preferably in a cell with 'bubba' would render him usless for the 'cause'

Personally, I would prefer to see the boys and girls comming home as soon as possible, no damn bleeding heart liberal thoughts, I just want friends home in one damn piece.

You better be god damn sure that swinging Saddam from a branch is going to make things better, and keep in mind that the 'war on terror' has not been marked with that many great decisions or victories so far gentlmen.
                        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq

Saddam couldn't give two flying f**ks about islam, but for all intents and purposes he will become a martyr for it. that is how the religous nutters are going to play it.

Would dipping the rope in a pig’s blood seconds before his execution prevent him from being called a Martyr?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66
                            Would dipping the rope in a pig’s blood seconds before his execution prevent him from being called a Martyr?

sadly no.
                            letting him live out the rest of his days as bubba's bi*ch is really about the only thing you can do to avoid that.

As I posted above, don't get me wrong, that SOB deserves to die, but on the pro's and con's if letting him live out his days in solitary 250' down in a pit means we can bring our boys and girls home sooner, and many many less of them die over 'saddam the martyr' propoganda. let the bastich live at the bottom of a pit on bacon and eggs.
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                              sadly no.
                              letting him live out the rest of his days as bubba's bi*ch is really about the only thing you can do to avoid that.

As I posted above, don't get me wrong, that SOB deserves to die, but on the pro's and con's if letting him live out his days in solitary 250' down in a pit means we can bring our boys and girls home sooner, and many many less of them die over 'saddam the martyr' propoganda. let the bastich live at the bottom of a pit on bacon and eggs.

I do agree with you.

I’m just afraid the somehow he’ll receive a special treatment for the rest of his life & he doesn’t deserve that.

Any chances of having him serve his sentence in a non Muslim country without too many eyes on him? Like in Mexico?

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X