DEcent Headphones £100 - 150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEcent Headphones £100 - 150

Title says it all. Mailnly for music listening live concerts via an external decoder from DVD's
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Sennheiser HD580. I Have the 600s with an amp. Consider a good headphone amp if you want seriously awesome sonic detail.

Sennheiser makes their high-end headphones in Germany with incredible attention to detail. Enjoy 365-day returns & free shipping on Headphones.com!

Comment

Basically listening via a Creative DDTS 100 via spdif which isn't probably the best anyway. I can still overload mine HD 570's or is the crap audio from the computer system.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Crap audio is definitely from the computer. You can't expect much from that. One problem is that better quality headphones usually have higher impedences and really need an amp to sound good.

Comment

If you aren't going to pony up for an amp or better sound card any time soon, the Grado SR-60's are the best way to go, imo. They are standard 32 ohm headphones and cost ~$60 USD, so they will probably be in that neighborhood in pounds.

A cheap amp upgrade would be a simple Chu Moy headphone amp:

If you're not a soldering tinker type, you can find well built, pre-assembled Chu Moy (cmoy) amps all over the place, and especially on eBay. For the money they are splendid amps according to just about anyone who has listened to one. They sell for roughly $50 USD online. If you piece it together you might save a little on the cost, but not much.

If you are going with an amp, jumping up to the SR-80's would be a nice upgrade and still stay within your budget.

Being a Sennheiser man though, I must mention them. The HD line are truly fantastic headphones. As long as you get one of the newer, lower impedence models you shouldn't have troubles driving it. The Chu Moy amp should be able to drive any of the new HD line models without difficulty.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

100 pounds ~ $200. What about the new HD595? It's got a bit lower impedence but a bit pricier..

Sennheiser makes their high-end headphones in Germany with incredible attention to detail. Enjoy 365-day returns & free shipping on Headphones.com!

Comment

What about the HD-485? I've heard they were the best bang for the buck.
              "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

I have to agree with the Grado 60's I still want a pair for myself after getting a pair for my dad. If you have a preamp I'd say get the 80's or higher. Honestly there is a point with the high end headphones that you don't get the full benefit of the headphones unless you have a headphone amp or a jack that feeds enough power to the phones.

Here's a review of that Chu Moy model. I've thought about building one for awhile now. http://dansdata.com/cmoy.htm
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  100 pounds ~ $200. What about the new HD595? It's got a bit lower impedence but a bit pricier..

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-595.php
                  Ah yes, the 595's. I have a pair and they are fantastic. I would have expected them to be >150 quid, but it appears they are not:

I guess it helps that the electronics are made next door in Ireland. These and a prefabbed cmoy from eBay would hit right aroung 150 pounds, and would be wonderful to listen to, imo.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Check forums - places like www.audioasylum.com/ or www.canuckaudiomart.com/

Check ebay for used stuff.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I've got HD595s (got them for ~120 EUR a year or so ago!) and love them. I also built a Cmoy headphone amp (which I don't use because my Terratec 6Fire has a good headphone out with pot already) - it's really easy
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                      X