F-117 Nighthawk (stealth fighter) retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-117 Nighthawk (stealth fighter) retiring

When I first heard about it I had trouble believing it. When I saw one do low flyovers of Willow Run Airport during an air show I was like a little kid; stunned by how quiet it was and how wicked it looked.

I also remember thinking "THAT is how Batmans jet should look!"

RIP Black Jet.

The Department of Defense is America's largest government agency. With our military tracing its roots back to pre-Revolutionary times, the department has grown and evolved with our nation.

Air Force’s Stealth Fighter Fleet Heads Toward Retirement

By Staff Sgt. Matthew Bates, USAF
    Special to American Forces Press Service

HOLLOMAN AIR FORCE BASE, N.M., Oct. 31, 2006 – After 25 years of storied service, the F-117 Nighthawk, the Air Force's first stealth fighter, is about to retire.

The technology that once made it unique has now caught up to it, and newer fighter aircraft are joining the fleet. Still, the Nighthawk was the first of its kind, a fact anyone who has spent time around the aircraft is quick to point out.

Many of these people gathered here Oct. 29 to commemorate 25 years of Nighthawk history at the Silver Stealth ceremony. Members of the F-117 community, past and present, were on hand to pay homage to the aircraft's illustrious history, a history that contains as many secrets as it does legends.
    >
    For Master Sgt. Byron Osborn, who has worked on the F-117 for almost 19 years, the emotions are clearer.

"For old-timers like me, it's a sad day," he said. "A lot of the younger guys like the new, flashier aircraft, but I'll stick with this old dog any day."

The Air Force is saying goodbye to the F-117, but not to the effect it has had on modern warfare. Its successor, the F-22 Raptor, will continue the fight the Nighthawk started, which, according to retired Gen. Lloyd "Fig" Newton, one of the first F-117 pilots, is a hard job to fill.

"Whenever its nation called, the F-117 answered, providing capabilities that had never been known before," he said. "If we needed the door kicked in, the stealth was the one to do it. Never before had such an aircraft existed."

Modern technology may have caught up with the F-117 and new aircraft may be set to take its place on the tarmac, but for those who have been part of its storied history, none will ever be able to replace it.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 November 2006, 15:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

From FAS Military Analysis Network:

The first F-117A was delivered in 1982, and the last delivery was in the summer of 1990. The F-117A production decision was made in 1978 with a contract awarded to Lockheed Advanced Development Projects, the "Skunk Works," in Burbank, Calif. The first flight was in 1981, only 31 months after the full-scale development decision. Lockheed-Martin delivered 59 stealth fighters to the Air Force between August 1982 and July 1990. Five additional test aircraft belong to the company.

Air Combat Command's only F-117A unit, the 4450th Tactical Group, achieved operational capability in October 1983. Since the F-117’s first Air Force flight in 1982, the aircraft has flown under different unit designations, including the 4450th Tactical Group and the 37th Tactical Fighter Wing at Tonapah Test Range, NV; the 57th Fighter Weapons Wing, Nellis AFB, NV; the 410th Flight Test Squadron/410th Test Squadron, Palmdale, CA; and Detachment 1, Test Evaluation Group, also at Holloman, which falls under the 53rd Wing, Eglin AFB, FL.

The stealth fighter emerged from the classified world while stationed at Tonapah Airfield with an announcement by the Pentagon in November 1988 and was first shown publicly at Nellis in April 1990. The 4450th TG was deactivated in October 1989, and was reactivated as the 37th Tactical Fighter Wing.
    This is more than a little surprising, considering how long planes like the F-14, F-15, F-16, A-10, etc., and even the F-111 (still in use by the RAAF) have been in service. Is the F-117's stealth technology really that antiquated already, or are there other problems with the aircraft that no one is talking about?

And what must its successor be capable of?!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
      From FAS Military Analysis Network:

This is more than a little surprising, considering how long planes like the F-14, F-15, F-16, A-10, etc., and even the F-111 (still in use by the RAAF) have been in service. Is the F-117's stealth technology really that antiquated already, or are there other problems with the aircraft that no one is talking about?

And what must its successor be capable of?!

Kevin

It boils down to money...the USAF retired them so they can buy more F-22, which are more Sexy to them...

I remember reading something about them retiring the F-117, the U-2 and something else so they could buy 3-4 more F-22s
      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The problems with the F-117 are;

1. subsonic.
        2. not very maneuverable, so if engaged visually it's a sitting duck.
        3. no offensive armaments, not even a cannon, to shoot back with.

Advantages of the F-22 Raptor and the F-35 Lightning II;

1. both supersonic. F-22 has SuperCruise; long range supersonic w/o an afterburner.
        2. VERY maneuverable; F-22 with thrust vectoring; F-35B for STOVL. F-35B can also hover, waiting.
        3. VERY small radar image.
        4. FAR more advanced radar & defensive electronics.
        5. armed to the teeth with offensive missiles & cannons.
        6. F-35 can be remotely flown into combat (UCAV).
        7. F-35 can be fitted with directed energy weapons (fiber/free electron lasers; HE microwave beam etc.).

Yeah, you read #7 right. They're a lot closer than you think due to recent discoveries and the F-35's internal layout and power systems were designed with them in mind.

Since the total number of these stealth aircraft will far exceed that of the F-117 squadrons these capabilities can be used in more theaters.
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 November 2006, 16:05.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X