Clear All

• Van Halen Fell Silent

Hope Apple got a look at this

Article....
    Van Halen Fell Silent On Top of the World

By Neal Mueller
    Special to the Washington Post
    Sunday, October 22, 2006; Page F05

Last year my team on Mount Everest witnessed firsthand how lousy the iPod is.

On our expedition, we brought enough electronic gadgetry to outfit an army. What broke first? The iPods. The batteries croaked, the cases scratched and the hard drives seized from the rarified air.

After that, we began to look askance on pretty iPods. I like gadgets, but I also like simple. As a mountaineer, I can't put up with the iPod because it's too high-maintenance.

That makes me a big fan of the Creative MuVo, because it has what I want: battery life, light weight and rugged reliability. It might lack pizazz, but it delivers substance. The tiny MuVo had no problem cranking out Van Halen when I stood on the summit of Mount Everest.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I don't think you're within the specs on top of everest anymore; can't say apple really are to blame on this one.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

This article and the guy who wrote it have already been through the ringer that is the Internet. Basically his whole intention was to draw attention to himself and act as a promotion piece for Creative's player. Anyone who thinks there's something to this article is a moron, plain and simple.

Ignoring the environmental conditions these iPods are built to operate under, there's the simple fact that a flash-based device is being compared to a hard-disk-based one. Anyone who's remotely familiar with the difference knows perfectly well why one could continue to operate under extreme conditions while the other can't. There's a reason there are custom-built notebook computers for places like Everest.

There's also the fact that this guy is sponsored by Creative. The Washington Post has tried to clarify that little bit of information; they claim he isn't "officially" sponsored by them, but he certainly promotes them as if he was (on his website).

For a first-year graduate he's also terribly inadequate at creating analogies and the proper use of certain words, such as fad. By all accounts, the iPod has long since stopped being a fad.

Drivel like this is becoming too prevalent, especially as opinion pieces by individuals who clearly are talking out their arse.

And come on, you get to the top of Everest and play Van Halen? *shakes head*
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

As much as I dislike the ipod, I'm sure a Nano would probably keep on chugging in that environment just as long as the Muvo.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Just for reference, here are the environmental requirements for each iPod line.

iPod
          Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
          Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)
          Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
          Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

iPod Nano

iPod Shuffle

Notice something? Yep, they're all the same. Why? Because those are the requirements that all the components within each model fall within. Some components may fall outside of those ranges for their high or low spec, but it'd be irresponsible for Apple to even hint at that possibility.

None of this is to say that the Muvo shouldn't get some props for lasting through conditions like those found on Everest, because, well, it's definitely a testament to its hardiness.
          “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
          X