Monsoon II TEC/heatpipe cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsoon II TEC/heatpipe cooler

I just upgraded my CPU from a 3500+ to a X2 4800+. First thing I noticed is how crappy the stock cooling is(50c at idle). On top of that, I broke the CPU plastic clip on the mobo and I had to jerry rig something to mount it. I've seen the Monsoon II cooler around the web and it seems to perform rather well. [H] complained that the variable fan noise is a problem and it's expensive($150), but other than that, everyone seems to love it.

I just wanted to see what MURCers thought of it before I plunked down the money. Evrybody reports that at load, temps are never higher than 35c. That is pretty awesome to say the least. I don't like the idea of watercooling because of water and complications to install it. I knowthere are all-in-one water cooling kits, but they seem to perform lackluster at best. Anyway, what do you think?

Android62 merupakan situs media online yang menyajikan berita dan informasi tentang teknologi dan aplikasi yang paling update.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I had a peltier cooler once. They are fantastic as long as you live in a low humidity area. My friends had condensation and dripped on the video card. kaboom!

But that was years ago when peltiers on computers were new. As long as people aren't complaining about condensation I'd say go for it. Peltiers are great coolers. Fans can always be replaced if they are too loud.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

That is the beauty of this device, it is regulated to never get to cold so that it never causes condensation. Which is why it has a heatsink and fan connected to it. Even if the TEC device dies(which they tend to do), the attached heatsink/fan combo keeps it cool albeit at higher temps.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

The issue I have with peltier devices is the large power requirement. For example, this one eats 60w just for the TEC, so you'll need quite a beefy power supply... And remember that you still have to get all of the heat from the processor out of the case, plus the additional heat from the efficiency loss of the TEC.
        Its more of a personal choice, but I prefer watercooling.

Comment

From what I read it's 50W, but yeah, it's high. I currently have a 425W power supply so I think I am good. My specs:

Asus A8V
          AMD64 X2 4800+(Toledo)
          2GB Mushkin Memory PC3200(2226)
          Asus X800 XT PE (requires external power connector)
          Audigy2 ZS
          2 74GB WD Raptors
          2 DL DVD Burners
          1 Floppy drive
          Enermax 425W PS(It's probably 3-4 years old now)
          Various peripherals connected to USB and firewire

I think that's it. You think I might run into problems with the Monsoon II?

Comment

You should pick up a nice Seasonic S12 or M12. High efficiency, very quiet, rock solid performance. I have the 380 W, but you should probably go for the 500 W range or higher, depending on your upgrade plans.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Damn for a $150 bucks I'd go the water cooling route...
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Hmmm - sounds expensive.

I bought these Gigabyte coolers fromNewEgg (they were on sale for $25 each, and they're $24 right now). On my Opteron 275s, the CPUs don't seem to get above 40C under load. The only complaint I have with them is that they aren't as quiet as I'd like. One other thing is that I lapped the bottom surface of the base. The underlying heat spreader is copper, but it's plated with something. Lapping (sanding) got me down to the copper, plus it gives a nice flat surface for the heatsink to contact the CPU.

The total power dissipation for the system is <250W (7800GT video, dual Opteron 275's) under load, so adding 50W for a cooler is definitely significant. Remember that the case fans still have to get rid of that heat.

- Steve

Comment

Damn it, you all have me second guessing this purchase That's why I posted though, wanted to see what others think. I don't think getting the heat out of the chassis would be hard. I have two 80mm fans in front and 2 in the rear.

GT98, you said you rather go water cooling, but what is out there for the same price that will get the same results? It seems most good water cooling systems are $200-$400! Not to mention the work involved getting it setup. The Monsoon is a set it and forget it device. Which is a huge positive for me.

Comment

Helevitia,

I had a Coolermaster Aquacool setup that I was using, and I saw it on Newegg for less then $100 bucks, its totally selfcontanted and easy to set up. I was using it for the past 2 years with no leaks or major issues with it.
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I had watercooling for a 2 years. Honestly, glad I am back to air, even though I never had any problems, it just somehow feels "safer" having air.

My suggestion - Thermalright Ultra-120
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
                      X