Cloning Dell Laptop HDD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloning Dell Laptop HDD?

I guess some will think this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.

I have replaced the HDD in a Dell Inspiron 510m (was a WD400VE, replaced with a WD800VE). The old hdd started failing, but was readable most of the time. During diagnosis I used the built-in restore function and would rather not have to rebuild from CD.

The hdd has 3 partitions (diagnostics, OS, restore). I have copied the partitions to my main PC using PowerQuest DriveImage 2002 (all I had) by connecting to a 2.5" to IDE convertor ribbon cable (of which I only have one).

I have copied the partitions back to the new hdd, but the Dell says NO OS and won't even find the diagnostics partition. I guess I need to also copy the boot sector?

Any ideas on how to finish this, and what with? I also now have access to PM8, if that is of any use.

TIA

T.
    FT.

Well, I'd do a complete drive clone with Acronis or Ghost...

Seriously though any program of this nature ought to have a boot block/MBR clone option.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

You should have used Ghost

Did you do a partition copy or drive copy? Prt copies do not copy the boot sectors. Boot to the ultimate boot cd 4 win (make one if you don't have one), launch Computer Management, go into Disk Management and make the OS partition Active (right-click will work).
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Don't have Ghost.

Did partition copies (all 3 at once) as PQDI looked like it wanted to copy directly to the destination drive, and I don't have that option with a 2.5" hdd.

Presumably just making the OS partition active will still leave the restore and diagnostics inaccessible. So, I just need an app to clone the MBR via a temporary store.
        FT.

Comment

I have PM8 floppies now. should that do it? (need to find a floppy drive too! )
          FT.

Comment

those on the dell forums suggest using acronis true image...

Comment

I see there is a 15-day free trial of v10 Thanks guys.
              FT.

Comment

True Image roxxorz your soxxorz, and yes there's a free trial...
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Acronis did the trick but I still had to set the active partition myself.
                  FT.

Comment

I'm sorry, but according to President Bush's Pastor(tm) cloning is immoral and therefore there's a federal moratorium on it. Sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                      I'm sorry, but according to President Bush's Pastor(tm) cloning is immoral and therefore there's a federal moratorium on it. Sorry!
                      Cloning is immoral. Could you imagine if there were twenty of you running around!
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                        Cloning is immoral. Could you imagine if there were twenty of you running around!
                        That'd be 20 more halfway (at least) intelligent people in the world.

But as we all know, policy decisions should DEFINITELY be made by GWB's Pastor (tm).

Comment

Cloning would be fine if it were just me making the decisions as to who is cloned.

Let's see.. I'll take a dozen Claudia Schiffers, ten Alizees, and a few Milla Jovoviches, please.

Comment

Working...
                          X