Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What use is a Matrox GENESIS c1996..?

Hi people.

I was allowed to rummage through the Computer Directors 'Stuff for the compactor' today.

This is extremely rare, since they just bin the stuff anyway, usually without asking.
    Last time i had to leap into the dustbins and reclaim 30 Magneto-Optical Drives (300 quid apiece) which had been thrown out, in original packaging, having never been opened...

Anyhoo, I noticed a f-ing huge Full size PCI card, with the "M" logo on it, and it says Genesis 568-00 Rev.C.

Its a dual layer card, with an extra card covering 3/4 of the underlying PCB.
    There is also a "round" Heatsink, and what seem to be a Texas Instruments chip, near the end of the PCI card.

What is this used for ? I checked quickly on a matrox site (a few pdf's are available...).

I also have a Matrox Meteor/RGB Rev.2 whatever this is for...
    It may be crap, but I will enjoy staring at the chips for days

I also got hold of a G200 Marvel, including all cables and the external box, and CD's and even the original packaging.
    And a Pentium Pro 200MHz chip, brand new (for some reason i was given it without its nice packaging, or anti stat bag...Bloody HUGE 256K cache model.

Jez
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
    Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
    +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Unfortunately, i could not save them all, so i expect them to be sent to the company that recycles all our electronics stuff...lots more cards, a laptop (gutted out) SONY Tapes for Tape Drives, STILL IN THEIR CELLOPHANE!!! 112M length if i remember correctly..(I would never have thrown that out, but i don't have a tape drive...)
    PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.

Comment

Bugger, no CD's for the G200 Marvel...oh well. I'll have to try emule...

Comment

The Matrox GENESIS seems to be the Mainboard version, With the STD Analog Video Input Board attached.

It seems to be a video processing board.

The Meteor seems to have a S-Video out port, and i'm looking into that...

Anyone NEED a Genesis Mainboard ?

Comment

And the Meteor is a Hardware capture card, not display.
          Captures DB-9/S-Video/Composite (Phono)

But what use are they today ?

Comment

They don't know what Macrovision is. Same with the Rainbow Runner's earlier drivers. Both also have better procamps (processing video amps) than Matrox's Marvel capture cards.

Almost worth installing a Win9x multi-bootup for.

Drivers for Marvel & RRS are here (RRS near the bottom);

Meteor & Genesis here;

ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/imaging/
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 1 November 2006, 19:15.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Cheers Dr Mordrid.

I was contemplating going for a Win2K setup: (i'll do a dual boot 9x/2K)
              XP 3200+/1Gb DDR/NF2 Mobo
              29160n Dual disk SCSI RAID
              IDE Boot

and then just try them out.

The Genesis has a weird input connector, but thankfully all the pinouts are given in the docs on the Matrox site...
              Will have to have a word with my dad when he gets back from Hols...(retired electrical engineer..better than me with attaching wires and stuff...i use tape)

Just as an afterthought though, how much are these things worth (genesis MB cards ?)
              I saw the dude at work today, and three more of them are going the way of the bucket, and I was wondering how much money we're wasting...
              There was about a metre-cube of stuff in that box, and I have too much Sh*t everywhere already...I just chose them cos they were HUGE and Matrox cards...

Thanks for the Links, will be having some fun soon (hopefully)

Jez

Comment

Originally posted by Evildead666
                Just as an afterthought though, how much are these things worth (genesis MB cards ?)
                I saw the dude at work today, and three more of them are going the way of the bucket, and I was wondering how much money we're wasting...
                found these two links at ebay, dunno if it is the same as you have

$199
                http://cgi.ebay.de/MATROX-GENESIS-GE...QQcmdZViewItem

$99
                http://cgi.ebay.de/MATROX-GENESIS-GP...QQcmdZViewItem
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Yup, exactly like the first link, except i think it can have up to 64Mb memory...
                  haven't put the machine to plug it into together yet weekend job

Comment

Working...
                  X