A Windows2000 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Windows2000 question

Since there's no General Software section I'll just ask this here.

Is Windows200 BETA 3 able to read FAT32 partitions? If not, do you know if this function will be in final product?

Microsoft's site didn't seem to offer this information.

B

------------------
    Excel 7.0, Winamp 2.23, Adobe Acrobat 4.0, QuickTime 4

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 06-23-99).]

Yes it does (and will )- no probs at all!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

Using dodgy beta stuff in not that bad a PC with all sorts of bits n bobs in it helping to find ET calling home...

Comment

Yeah!! Thanx for the info. It was surprisingly hard to find any info from the web on this. (it didn't!)

Well, me thinks me got miself a installing party this week.

B

------------------

Comment

You can also install W2k on a FAT32 partition.

------------------
        Slow PC, 14" Monitor, Clean desk, Windows98SE, Windows2000b3, BeOSr4.

Comment

Hey Hunsow - what's that BeOS like? Is it worth trying to get hold of a copy? What s/w is available for it, and what about h/w support?

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

Using dodgy beta stuff in not that bad a PC with all sorts of bits n bobs in it helping to find ET calling home...

Comment

Hi Steve, just got it tonight, as long as you have intel stuff and a matrox card it works just fine. The G400 doesn't work yet I guess, my G200 works fine. Can't seem to connect to the internet though, and the SB live isn't supported. But it's really fast, much better overall then stupid Linux with KDE. Dunno about the software, I heard Quake3 is going to be able to run with it.

Comment

I've read from a pc mag that it's really promising piece of software but not a choise as it is. Meaning lousy support and some 'features' of a 'young' OS.

Now, are there any problems on G200 using W2K? Does the CD contain drivers for it or do I have to get them somewhere?
              I recall reading somewhere here that at least SBLive! is a pain. How to get it working again?

B

------------------

Comment

Ooooh Hunsow - talk about flame bait (stupid Linux with that KDE) heh heh

Sounds promising - are any big names taking up supporting it?

Under win2k, the G200 is supported out of the box. But there will be newer drivers available when the big M decides to release something. Check out <A HREF="http://www.mswin2k.net" target="_blank">http://www.mswin2k.net</A> for help regarding win2k and esp. the SBLive.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 06-24-99).]

Comment

BeOS is the 'newest' OS around. It was built from the ground up in th early 90's by one of the 3 Apple founders. BeOS is designed to be a pure unadultered multimedia OS. Is was built to run at maximum speed with at least 2 CPU's (although it works well with one) and up to 4 CPU's. It has true multi-tasking OS that uses true multi threaded OS streams and has the ease of use of MacOS with the functionality of Windows (but without hogging your system resources). There is one big problem with the BeOS, it has no mainstream software or hardware support. I have BeOS 4.0 on my system but there is not much I can do with it. SUpposedly there is work being done on a Windows/DOS emulator and a new version (5.0) that will have support for more hardware than you can shake a stick at. Unfortunately there are no games that you can run with BeOS yet. Oh well, maybe in few years developers will start porting stuff.

Jammrock
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You can make it sound like NT or any other OS don't not have "true multi-tasking".
                    The threads of a process in NT can run simultaneously on any available processor using priority-based preemption. What more is needed to make it "true"?

You know definition of concurrency on processes goes like "if two or more processes make progress in given time, they run concurrently". 'Make progress' means that they are at diffent states after the given time than they are at the moment.
                    So any OS that runs two programs that both make progress in given time is multi-tasking envinronment.

B

------------------

Comment

While we're on the W2K thing: I had heard that W2K combines the best of win98 and the stability of NT. Will all programs currently compatable with win98 run on w2k? Someone said that it doesn't support 16bit programs, is this a farce? Is it, in fact, more stable?

-neo

------------------
                      Asus P2B-F, 496MHZ Pentium II (4x124!!), Global Win VEK12 hs/fan, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Creative DVD 2x, Mitsumi CDR 2x/8x, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card, and a redhead with a pair of 36Cs (O/Ced to 38Cs)

Comment

Win2k (posting with it right now) looks better than win98 - cool things like fading menus etc etc. It is very stable - no major system halts yet (explorer.exe has crashed a few times, but kill it thru taskmanager and re-run it and all is OK).
                        It's happier on more than 64mb though. It is SOOO much quicker on 128mb.
                        16 bit progs run fine. And I haven't had anything that wont run under it yet (apart from some games).

------------------
                        Cheers,
                        Steve

Comment

I just installed it. First thing it did to configure it was to uncheck the 'menu transition effect' box..

Runs like an angel on my K6-2/330+192MB. Didn't put my SBLive working at the first strike though..

B

------------------

Comment

Win2k will not be compatible with all programs. The ones that you will have most trouble with are old DOS/Windows 3.11 programs. There will also be (and Microsoft admits to this, I went to a Win2k seminar) other Win9x/NT programs that will not run on Win2k. I do not know specifics, but they are out there. Most of our games should work because they are written for DirectX or OpenGL, which are both natively supported in Win2k. You must, of course, have all of the proper drivers for your hardware, which you cannot always find, but once you do in theory it should work.

And yes BeOS is a true multi threaded, multi tasking OS. WinNT and Win2K are too, but they are based on older technologies to make them Windows/DOS compatible.

Jammrock

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 06-24-99).]
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock,

First you say that old 16bit programs won't run well on W2K, then you say it's based on older technology to maintain the compatibility.

W2K is based on NT technology, and as you probably knew already NT4 wasn't running all 16bit programs.

I really give the credit for MS for their efforts to toss the DOS limitations out the window (out from Windows ). I'm under impression that NT is 32bit to the core and some kind of an compatibility is obtained by runtime emulator.

I'm truly impressed of the beta 3 and I cannot believe that there was anything 'acient' in the core of it.

B

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X