CNN's "scariest tech" of 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNN's "scariest tech" of 2006

Scariest tech of 2006, the Holloween list.

Condensed for brevity;

Sony LiION batteries. PC makers have recalled 9.6 million Sony-made notebook and laptop batteries so far this year for a rare but spectacular tendency to overheat and burst into flames. In money terms, the recalls cost Sony 51 billion yen (about $433 million). In reputation, though, the cost was higher: Sony's reputation for quality went up in flames.

Amazon.com Unbox. "It's slower than a trip to Blockbuster, more expensive than buying the physical DVD, absurdly restrictive on how the consumer uses the movie he or she pays for, delivers lower resolution than a DVD, and requires running a cable from the PC to the TV if you want to watch the movie on something larger than a PC monitor."

Vonage VoIP. Vonage's Voice Over Internet Protocol telephone service periodically goes from great to frightening in less time that it takes Lon Chaney Jr. to become a werewolf.

HP ethics. If the chain of command sees nothing wrong with circumventing the law and violating the privacy of employees, journalists and even its own board members, stealing private phone records, sifting through trash, snooping in e-mails, and even planting spies in a newsroom's janitorial staff … well, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'll ever trust an HP PC not to have spy software, trap doors or other spooky features.

Microsoft Vista. If ever an operating system needed the software equivalent of garlic and wolfbane to keep away evil spirits, Microsoft Windows would be it.....

Recording madness. Remember "Reefer Madness," the 1950s scare flick intended to warn teenagers about the danger of marijuana? One puff, and suddenly you're a motorcycle hoodlum. And now, half a century later, comes the Recording Industry Association of America (R.I.A.A.) with its own horror film for teens, called "Campus Downloading."

Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. Once again, the standards nightmare returns to haunt consumers. The ghost of Betamax is on the loose. Here's the deal, folks: You can spend $50 today for a progressive-scan standard DVD player, and find thousands of DVD discs at Blockbuster or Netflix that will play on it. Or you can spend $500 to $2,000 for a high-definition DVD player - Blu-ray or HD-DVD, one of which might be obsolete in a year or two - and take your pick of a few dozen movies available for that particular hi-def format.

Are the high-definition DVDs so much better that they justify the risk of picking the wrong platform? Maybe, if you're rich and already have an expensive 1080p hi-def TV upon which to screen the trickle of new DVDs. Me, I'll wait for some mad scientist in Japan to create The HD DVD Player With Two Heads, able to play both new HD formats.

Paperless voting machines. After the fiasco of 2000, governments recognized the need for a more reliable system of collecting and counting votes. But out of the laboratory came a sinister new device, the direct recording electronic (DRE) voting machine. Without a paper trail or a reliable way to audit the results, and compounded by the refusal by manufacturers to allow independent software security experts to assess the reliability of the machines, doubts about the fairness of local and national elections will persist.

(NOTE: now it's been discovered that one of the US's major voting machine vendors might have ties to Venezuelas nutjob President Hugo Chavez;

Wonderful....)

Ultra-mobile PC's.
    These are truly scary little Windows PCs, not small enough to fit in a pocket, not big enough to do useful work, doomed to wander in computing limbo forever.

Nintendo Wii. Just for the name alone.

Most horrible video game of the year: X-MEN The Official Game by Activision. Is it possible for a video game to bore you to death?

The most awful movie so far this year: Stay Alive by Buena Vista Pictures. Plot: a video game becomes deadly, but not as deadly as this stupid movie.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 31 October 2006, 00:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

The Vista one in full:
    Microsoft Vista
    If ever an operating system needed the software equivalent of garlic and wolfbane to keep away evil spirits, Microsoft Windows would be it. It's a magnet for hackers, and hardly a week goes by without Microsoft issuing a software security patch, or a patch for the security patch, or a patch to patch the patch. The result is a Frankensoftware monster.

But now comes word that the next version of Windows, called Vista and expected to roll out in early 2007, won't initially allow third-party security software vendors like McAfee and Symantec access to the Vista kernel, or core code. (Those companies will get access only after Microsoft issues the first Service Pack, according to the rumor mill.) Hackers have already demonstrated that Vista's supposedly impregnable defenses can be broken, which is hardly reassuring for a product whose main raison d'etre is security. And now Vista users will have to depend entirely on Microsoft to keep their computers protected from evil. Wait… what's that sinister laugh I hear, coming from Redmond?
    And I can add to that, having got Vista Release Candidate on one of my machines: it will accept only hardware drivers that have been approved by MS. If you use a driver that has not, it either will not work OR it will break it. My Realtek sound card driver isn't, but it works, but there is a warning message that it has been disabled (not true) at each boot-up. I cannot get such simple things as my Twain scanner to work on it as the maker's XP drivers will not install and MS offer no alternative. Not to mention it has broken half of my software (and the relegation procedure to earlier Windows versions does not work, either). The greatest one is that I have Office 2007 beta working fine under XP, but it has severe bugs in Vista!!!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
      The Vista one in full:

And I can add to that, having got Vista Release Candidate on one of my machines: it will accept only hardware drivers that have been approved by MS. If you use a driver that has not, it either will not work OR it will break it. My Realtek sound card driver isn't, but it works, but there is a warning message that it has been disabled (not true) at each boot-up. I cannot get such simple things as my Twain scanner to work on it as the maker's XP drivers will not install and MS offer no alternative. Not to mention it has broken half of my software (and the relegation procedure to earlier Windows versions does not work, either). The greatest one is that I have Office 2007 beta working fine under XP, but it has severe bugs in Vista!!!

What da.....

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

The only rig I plan on upgrading to Vista will be the one of the beta systems bootups so I can test supposedly compatable video software. Otherwise I'm sticking with XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux.

BTW guys; Ubuntu 6.10 is out

Ubuntu is the modern, open source operating system on Linux for the enterprise server, desktop, cloud, and IoT.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I was completely against Vista such that I want to get a laptop before it was released but then I realized that there are usually a round of free upgrades. I will have one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid View Post
            The only rig I plan on upgrading to Vista will be the one of the beta systems bootups so I can test supposedly compatable video software. Otherwise I'm sticking with XP SP2 and Ubuntu Linux.http://www.ubuntu.com/
            One of the gripes I hear from people who try Linux is that their software won't run on Linux. Sure there is Wine/Crossover/etc. But that is still no guarantee that they can seamlessly transfer into Linux. Or find a program that is similar to what they are used to.

Now along comes the “New and Improved” Windows Vista and guess what? A lot of people are going to find out their software has to be upgraded (Pronounced “Cha-Ching”) to a newer version to be Vista compatible.

As an aside, this really doesn't matter much to me since I haven't even “upgraded” to XP. Windows 2000 is still serving my needs for my Video Editing hobby and I don't game all that much. And since I am paranoid about virus/spyware/adware/BSware/Whateverware I will continue to use PcLinuxOS 0.93a for all my office/internet/banking/photography needs.

As Wine/Crossover continues to evolve I am hopeful that someday my Version of MediaStudio Pro 6.5 will run in PcLinuxOS 0.94 and on that day I am going to gain another partition back on my desktop.
            Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

I put openSuse 10.2 on my system a while back (couldn't get UFRaw to compile under Cygwin) but gave up after a while as I just couldn't stand the GUIs (both Gnome and KDE.) Also, whoever came up with the layout of the file system for Linux must have hated people: why else would there be so many folders with three letter abbreviations or acronyms?

Comment

Working...
              X