Motorola's Dumb Phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorola's Dumb Phone

Finally a mobile phone manufacturer has caved into my demands for a 'just a phone' mobile... well, okay, maybe not for me...

Graduate Students and administrators now collaborate on decisions that affect grad student life.

Known about this for awhile now, but details were skim, so it's nice to see that Motorola is making the Motofone into not only a simple, low-cost mobile phone, but also one that puts some newer technologies to good use.

The phone's most distinctive feature is its screen, a high-contrast reflective display using a new technology invented at MIT. Commercialized by E Ink of Cambridge, MA, the display has been described as electronic paper. Like paper, it does not rely on a backlight, as in LCDs, or a constant supply of electricity, as in emissive displays based on organic light-emitting devices. Indeed, it uses no power to display an image--only to change the image on the screen. The image itself is composed of tiny spheres containing nanoscopic black and white particles. Russell Wilcox, E Ink's president and CEO, says the particles are something like tiny bits of ink and paper. Whether the spheres appear black or white depends on the charge of an underlying electrode. A negative electrode repels the negatively charged black particles, forcing them to the top of the sphere, and attracts the positively charged white particles, pulling them to the bottom and out of sight. The result is a black dot. Dots of various shades of gray can be created by changing the charge at different intervals, allowing black and white particles to mix. The display is very easy to see even in full sunlight but uses much less energy than an LCD, Wilcox says.
    Really hope they can find a way to get it in the market here in the US. I want simple damnit!
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

So it's kinda like an etch-a-sketch but it's electric and if you shake it it doesn't clear the screen?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Yep. Sadly I don't think it will let you draw stick-figures with large knockers while talking to your boss...

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
        Yep. Sadly I don't think it will let you draw stick-figures with large knockers while talking to your boss...
        Now who in their right mind would use an etch-a-sketch for that? Really?

LOL Just kidding.

But to stay ontopic, that's actually a smart idea. Any way to save power on phone can only increase talk time, which is what's most important. Although calling it a dumb phone though... hmmm, not such a good idea.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Ah, was just the title of the article, and I rather doubt Motorola would dare go anywhere near calling it that.

I'm going to bet we see some higher-end models in the near future that will be targeting markets like the US, given that the display technology does appear to be capable of handling more than what they're allowing with the Motofone. And you're right, the less power drain the better.

Comment

Jessterw, Nokia has some recent models (1100 & 1110 AFAIK) that would also fit your needs.

Comment

Yeah I've seen those, and even ignoring the fact that my carrier doesn't have them, they're just plain ugly (ok, maybe they're not that bad)

I have a Samsung X495, which is decently basic, but I still don't use half the features it has. Give me an alarm and a phonebook and I'm set.

Of course, it's doubtful T-Mobile will carry the Motofone, but I can hope.

Comment

Working...
              X