Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Dilbert' creator recovers from rare disorder

'Dilbert' creator recovers from rare disorder

Scott Adams, 49, creator of the comic strip Dilbert, appears to be a rare example of someone who has largely but not totally, recovered from Spasmodic Dysphonia, a mysterious disease in which parts of the brain controlling speech shut down or go haywire.
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Originally posted by lowlifecat
    'Dilbert' creator recovers from rare disorder

Scott Adams, 49, creator of the comic strip Dilbert, appears to be a rare example of someone who has largely but not totally, recovered from Spasmodic Dysphonia, a mysterious disease in which parts of the brain controlling speech shut down or go haywire.
    Yeah, isn't that the disease that makes some people spout nonsense when they try to talk?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

You might be thinking of Tourette Syndrome.

Kevin

Comment

I think he means coprolalia.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I think he meant Aphasia.
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

There's such an obvious joke here... It's too obvious. I'm not going for it.
            P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Coprolalia is an occasional but rare characteristic of Tourette syndrome, although it is not required for a diagnosis of Tourette's.
              According to the link, Aphasia is typically linked to stroke and limits the victim's ability to communicate by speech in general.

Kevin

Comment

I was definitely thinking of Aphasia. It is rare but not unheard of for Aphasia to manifest as the result of a mental disorder as opposed to stroke or brain damage.

More commonly there is a class of mental disorders referred to as "Word Salad":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_salad_(mental_health)
                Last edited by Gurm; 30 October 2006, 17:45.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

My grandfather had a stroke at 65, and lost his speech.. when it came back he could only speak German. (And this was my English, not my German grandfather!) He subsequently perfectly regained his speech, and had no apparent ill effects afterward, physical or mental, and lived to age 93, all his marbles (and curious intelligence) intact.

Comment

Working...
                  X