Piercings can be a bad idea....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piercings can be a bad idea....

Not the same body part, but I sure know how she feels.

IMO any reputable piercing studio should not do diabetics

In fact if it isn't illegal, it should be.

Teen has breast removed after infection

Posted 10/28/2006 1:30 AM ET

CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — A teenager who decided to get her breasts pierced for her 18th birthday faces reconstructive surgery after a flesh-destroying infection forced doctors to remove her left breast.

Stephanie Edington of Crawfordsville remained hospitalized Friday at the Indiana University Medical Center in Indianapolis, where surgeons also removed lymph nodes and infected skin up to her collar bone.

Robert Goulet Jr., a doctor and professor at the Indiana University Cancer Center, said the piercing created an entry point for the bacteria, but the procedure likely did not cause the infection itself. Edington is diabetic, which left her susceptible to infection, he said.

Doctors diagnosed Edington, who had the piercings on Aug. 29, with necrotizing fasciitis, or gas gangrene — a rare condition that results from rapid bacteria growth and leads to tissue destruction. It is only the third documented case in the world of gas gangrene in the breast area, Goulet told The Paper of Montgomery County.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

This could happen to anyone, not just diabetics. I understand that their condition makes them more susceptible, but every time someone has a piercing, it gets infected to some degree, and deep infections can be very dangerous. Every high school health class should post this article for all to read.

Comment

I agree, should definitely teach this in schools - I don't think they ever told us anything about piercing/tattoos etc.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Think what would happen if your zizi became gangrenous after penile piercing - ugh! Bobbit was an amateur in comparison!

Seriously, I don't know how a piercing studio would know if anyone was diabetic; they don't wear a label on their forehead and a kid set on looking like a prize bull in the show ring is not going to admit it under peer pressure. If they ask for a doctor's certificate, then they could lock their shop, put the key under the doormat and never enter it again (not a bad thing).

The same could apply to tattoo parlours: I know a diabetic who developed an ulcer requiring 6 months treatment including 3 surgeries for a small tattoo on the ankle: it, too, could have become gangrenous if he hadn't started treatment in time, and he could have lost his lower leg.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Piercing...yuck.....It's Always a bad idea!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

actualy I don't mind Piercing within reason, and the reasons shall not be detailed as this is a *cough* family forum

Doc is also aware of my 'family' history, and I agree, diabetics should never have that sort of piercing performed
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

It would actually not be a bad idea to make a doctor's certificate mandatory for a piercing.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Do you think this type of situation could have been avoided if everything was properly sterilized?
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                  Do you think this type of situation could have been avoided if everything was properly sterilized?
                  She was a diabetic, so I will say probably not.
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

She had removed then reinsertedit later. Even the bacteria on her hand from someone else sneezing in the room could start a nasty infection.
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

one of my bros is diabetic and had to stay 1 week(and a bit) at the hospital after removing his appendix last year. mine kicked in just about a month after his but i was out of the hospital a lot less than 24h after my op.

iirc they kept him extra because he fevered at one point, they wanted to make triple sure he was ok before releasing him.
                      /meow
                      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                      Asus Striker ][
                      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Working...
                      X