X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting 100mbit in '07 week 7

I was notified this week that they will hook up my apartment in week 7 or 8

Only 3 more months on ADSL
    Last edited by Technoid; 28 October 2006, 10:41.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

I am EXTREMELY jealous
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

100 millibits/second is not very fast. Even my nominal 1 Mbit/sec compares well to that
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
        I am EXTREMELY jealous
        You don't have to be, they have already moved it forward 4 times, I'll probably end up getting it in december 2010
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I went from a 10mbit to 30mbit speed and I haven't seen that much of an improvement with downloading stuff...
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            I went from a 10mbit to 30mbit speed and I haven't seen that much of an improvement with downloading stuff...
            That's because most server/sites cap your max download rate (speed limit) or they themselves can't push 100 Mbps due to server load or host limitation. What 100 Mbps would enable, in theory, is better latency and the ability to download multiple streams at high speed without lag or data loss. Such as streaming TV, torrenting, download an ISO and game demo all at once and still have, with a good QoS implementation, enough badwidth to game without heavy lag.

Jammrock
            Last edited by Jammrock; 30 October 2006, 05:47.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well, I will be getting something like this in few days...

Only problem - through NAT...

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                Nit-picking, again but speed in a car is mph or km/h. Speed on the information highway also needs the time unit and the abbreviation for mega is M. The prefix m means milli- or 1/1000. I agree that an increase from 10 millibit/h to 30 millibit/h would allow you to download a small, simple web page/week. However, I have a feeling you mean 10 Mbit/sec and 30 Mbit/s. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                  Nit-picking, again but speed in a car is mph or km/h. Speed on the information highway also needs the time unit and the abbreviation for mega is M. The prefix m means milli- or 1/1000. I agree that an increase from 10 millibit/h to 30 millibit/h would allow you to download a small, simple web page/week. However, I have a feeling you mean 10 Mbit/sec and 30 Mbit/s. Do you?
                  ahem... nit-picking your nit-picking. data transmission i believe is officially measured in BAUD.

there is a difference between mb/s and Mb/s. the first is megabits per second and the latter is megabytes per second. 1 byte = 2 nibbles = 8 bits.

milli- is never used for data.

it says so in the bible. +=
                  /meow
                  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                  Asus Striker ][
                  8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                  Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

yawn, so some of you are finally getting real broadband
                    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                      there is a difference between mb/s and Mb/s. the first is megabits per second and the latter is megabytes per second. 1 byte = 2 nibbles = 8 bits.
                      That is utter nonsense.

M is always mega-, m is always milli-. No departure from this rule is permitted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Strictly speaking, bit is an abbreviation for binary digit and ISO state that abbreviations should not be further abbreviated. It is therefore wrong to use b for bit. Also, strictly speaking, byte is not an abbreviation and could be abbreviated to b (at the risk of misunderstanding) or by; for this reason, some local standards have stated that B is permissible for byte, although this is incorrect as the unit is not derived from a proper noun (person or place name). Hence, in the cited page, one finds:
                      It is recommended by several standards bodies to use bit and B to keep the units very distinct, as in kbit or MiB.
                      Furthermore, a space is ALWAYS mandatory between the value and the unit or the unit abbreviation. Thus 10kHz should be 10 kHz.

I apologise for the nit-picking but I have sat on an ISO standardisation committee and the misuse of symbols and units has become a sore point: we have always had to keep to the very strict protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                        That is utter nonsense.

M is always mega-, m is always milli-. No departure from this rule is permitted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_prefix

Strictly speaking, bit is an abbreviation for binary digit and ISO state that abbreviations should not be further abbreviated. It is therefore wrong to use b for bit. Also, strictly speaking, byte is not an abbreviation and could be abbreviated to b (at the risk of misunderstanding) or by; for this reason, some local standards have stated that B is permissible for byte, although this is incorrect as the unit is not derived from a proper noun (person or place name). Hence, in the cited page, one finds:

Furthermore, a space is ALWAYS mandatory between the value and the unit or the unit abbreviation. Thus 10kHz should be 10 kHz.

I apologise for the nit-picking but I have sat on an ISO standardisation committee and the misuse of symbols and units has become a sore point: we have always had to keep to the very strict protocol.
                        If this bothers you so much Brian, open your own thread on it

Anyway, do you have any constructive to add besides nitpicking?

Comment

Brian > now we come to misnomers that might need another thread.

Using commun sense one would know that a millibit is impossible. A bit being the smallest measurement of digital data..

If someone is too lazy to hit the shift key to capitalize M, I'm not gonna assume they are talking about an impossibility...

And utla not nonsense: official measurement do-hicky for information transfer is BAUD or signals per second.

Ps: your right about the cap M, for some reason I got confusled between B and M.

Tech> so will we be seeing less of you now that you have faster pr0n?
                          /meow
                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                          Asus Striker ][
                          8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                          Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat

Tech> so will we be seeing less of you now that you have faster pr0n?
                            Naa, just lots of him complaining about the cost of NAS servers to store it all
                            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Me thinks someone is speaking from experience
                              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
                              X