Hubble decision Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubble decision Tuesday

Fix or stand pat? Rumors say it's on for Discovery mission STS-125 in 2008 or even 2007 if NASA decides to move it up.

If approved a parallel mission, Atlantis STS-300 LON (Launch On Need), would be on the pad to provide a rescue flight since the ISS "safe harbor" would not be available in the Hubbles orbit.

Don't even as what would happen if the both ran into trouble

IF fix this is what they'd do;

* Installation of three new rate sensing units, or RSUs, containing two gyroscopes each to restore full redundancy in the telescope's pointing control system

* Installation of six new nickel-hydrogen batteries to replace the power packs launched with Hubble in 1990

* Installation of the Wide Field Camera 3 (in place of the current Wide Field Planetary Camera 2), providing high-resolution optical coverage from the near-infrared region of the spectrum to the ultraviolet

* Installation of the Cosmic Origins Spectrograph, sensitive to ultraviolet wavelengths. COS will take the place of a no-longer-used instrument known as COSTAR that once was used to correct for the spherical aberration of Hubble's primary mirror. All current Hubble instruments are equipped with their own corrective optics

* Installation of a refurbished fine guidance sensor, one of three used to lock onto and track astronomical targets (two of Hubble's three sensors suffer degraded performance). The refurbished FGS, removed from Hubble during a 1999 servicing mission, will replace FGS-2R, which has a problem with an LED sensor in a star selector subsystem

* Attachment of new outer blanket layer - NOBL - insulation to replace degrading panels
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 27 October 2006, 18:36.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

and this is why I ask. For I don't know what I don't know and someone can always come up with a good use for a new discovery.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
    X