The disappearing CRT TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The disappearing CRT TV

Daily science news on research developments, technological breakthroughs and the latest scientific innovations

Flat Panels Drive Old TVs From Market

(AP) -- The lone conventional television set at Anderson's TV store sat along a side wall like a castoff. Its screen was dark as dozens of other gleaming flat-panel and big-screen models flashed nearby with vivid color images.

The staff at the Redwood City store hadn't even bothered to turn on the cathode-ray tube TV until a reporter asked to see it on a recent afternoon.

The obvious neglect reflected the wallflower status of today's CRT TVs, as well as the mature technology's doomed future. Experts say the old-fashioned boob tube that catered to generations of Americans will soon be all but extinct.

"It's already dead, but it doesn't know it yet," said Jon Paul Belstler, an audio/video consultant at Anderson's. "It's just trying to hang on."

Across stores and in homes, sleek LCD and plasma televisions are taking over.

In North America, sales of the bulky traditional TVs are in steep decline.

By next year, the tube TV will cede its crown of dominance to LCD sets for the first time, according to the market research firm iSuppli Corp. Sales of CRTs will fall from an estimated 14.4 million units this year to 10.4 million in 2007, while sales of LCD TVs are predicted to rise from 10.9 million units to 17.8 million.

By 2010, iSuppli predicts CRTs will account for only 2.1 million of the 44 million televisions sold.

The decline comes despite the venerable CRT's bargain prices: $223, on average, compared with $1,007 for LCD or $2,335 for plasma, according to research firm DisplaySearch.

But consumers are increasingly enamored with the thin designs and stunningly sharp pictures available with newer sets.

And high-end, large-sized CRT TVs are already running close in price to similarly sized LCDs. The solitary tube TV at Anderson's was a 34-inch Sony WEGA HDTV model going for $999. At Amazon.com, you could find special deals for a 32-inch LCD HDTV for the same price.

"CRTs are just losing their buzz when you have competing TVs that have technology that's similar to the CRT for almost the same price," iSuppli analyst Riddhi Patel said.

LCD prices have fallen precipitously - about 30 percent annually since 2003, according to DisplaySearch - narrowing the price gap to CRT TVs. David Barnes, an analyst at DisplaySearch, expects a consumer will be able to find a 32-inch LCD TV for $500 by Christmas 2007.

"Sure you could buy a CRT at that point, but why?" Barnes said.

Besides, Americans love big TVs if they can handle it in budget and space.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Not a fan of LCD TVs. They are okay for HDTV resolutions (if they themselves are HDTV native res) up to 30'ish inches. Beyond that LCDs look like crap. Unless you have a REALLY good video processor that scales the resolution to the LCDs natural res.

I'm more interested in the Samsung DLPs with LED backlighting. Same basic DLP principle, but they use a set of 3 high powered LEDs for each coler, Red, Blue, Green. Meaning no color wheel, no rainbow effect, no moving parts beyond the DLP mirrors on the chip. And the LEDs are supposed to have a 20k hour lifespan and user replacable at a fraction of the cost of a lamp.

Welcome to Samsung IN. Discover a wide range of home electronics with cutting-edge technology including TVs, smartphones, tablets, home appliances & more!

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

When is all TV supposed to be HD? (and widescreen) - was it like '09 or something?

Until that time I am sticking with my 4:3 CRTs in my house.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
        When is all TV supposed to be HD? (and widescreen) - was it like '09 or something?

Until that time I am sticking with my 4:3 CRTs in my house.
        2009 is when all the over the air broadcasters are required to broadcast everything in ATSC (i.e. High Definition). This does not require the cable and satellite providers to do so, only the netwrok guys. But the cable and satellite guys are working on getting 100% HD implemented, even if just highly compressed 480p.

There will be "down converters" available for those who still use old NTSC TVs. At one point the gov. was going to give away the down convters to people who did not own an HDTVm but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          Not a fan of LCD TVs. They are okay for HDTV resolutions (if they themselves are HDTV native res) up to 30'ish inches. Beyond that LCDs look like crap. Unless you have a REALLY good video processor that scales the resolution to the LCDs natural res.
          Can you get a REALLY good external video processor? Or are you forced to use the built in one?

I was looking into a 32" LCD TV recently, but I'm not ready to pay for HDTV, and SDTV looks terrible on an LCD due to the scaling issue that you mentioned.

I'm more interested in the Samsung DLPs with LED backlighting. Same basic DLP principle, but they use a set of 3 high powered LEDs for each coler, Red, Blue, Green. Meaning no color wheel, no rainbow effect, no moving parts beyond the DLP mirrors on the chip.

But don't these TVs have a lag when connected to a video game system?

Comment

I love articles like this. But walking into the local Wally-Mart tells a different story. Mostly CRT's, mostly 4:3. That's what Joe six-pack still owns and buys.

99% of the country still isn't HDTV-ready, which is why the "all broadcasts will only occur in HDTV" date keeps slipping. It was originally in the late 90's. Then the early 00's. Then 2005, then 2006, then 2007, and now 2009.

And I bet you that it'll be pushed even further, although we MIGHT make 2009.

Because TV's last 20+ years. And because the average consumer, with their $200 TV, still can't afford anything nicer.

Yet every few months, some article reports that 95% of the TV's in a given store are HDTV, or are LCD, or some bullcrap like that. Even at high-end stores it's probably only 50/50 or maybe a little more at this point. KvH could probably tell us, he works at one of those places...
            Last edited by Gurm; 24 October 2006, 08:53.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              I love articles like this. But walking into the local Wally-Mart tells a different story. Mostly CRT's, mostly 4:3. That's what Joe six-pack still owns and buys.
              Yes, because we all know that Wal*Mart is the nexus of the technological universe.

Go into Circuit City or Best Buy, where most people would be more apt to get a new TV. You can count their CRT offerings on one hand.

Because TV's last 20+ years. And because the average consumer, with their $200 TV, still can't afford anything nicer.
              I think this is key. I recall reading an article some time ago, where no matter what the time was (sinc ethe 50's or so), $250 will buy you an average sized TV. The TVs got bigger and better over time (color, remote control, etc), but $250 always got you the new standard TV.

5 years ago, I got my new standard TV. It's a 27" sharp with S-video inputs, etc. It cost me $250.

Now, one would expect that as time goes on, you get more TV for your money. So here we are 5 years later...I should be able to pay $250 for a TV that's slightly better. Perhaps a 32". Problem is, a decent 32" LCD TV is $900+.

So in short, yeah, I think you hit the nail on the head here. Most people have a TV that's somewhere near 30" (that they got for around $250), and aren't ready to drop $1K on a new TV that's only a little bigger.

Add that to the fact that your new $1K TV will look like utter garbage unless you spend $100 a month for HD service, and it's a tough pill to swallow.

Yet every few months, some article reports that 95% of the TV's in a given store are HDTV, or are LCD, or some bullcrap like that. Even at high-end stores it's probably only 50/50 or maybe a little more at this point.
              You're way off here. Again, go look in best buy or circuit city. Hell, check out their websites. Prove me wrong. They really are about 95% non-CRT. They barely even produce CRTs anymore. Hell, the same thing has happened with the PC monitor world. How many manufacturers completely dropped their CRT lines in the past couple of years?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                NOT OUR WALMARTS!!

Go into any Walmart around Detroit and you see an 85/15 mix in favor of flat screens, and maybe more. The one we were in last night had at most 5 CRT TV's in the whole store and the back wall of the whole entertainment dept. was 3 rows high with LCD and Plasma's.

Must be a Massachusettes thing

Circuit City, Best Buy et al are as Kooldino stated: 90-95% or more in favor of flat panels. In some stores the only CRT's you can find are the 13" - 17" DVD/VHS combo models, and damned few of those.

As for cost: in a post last week I noted that a local discounter was selling refurbed 30" Samsung LCD's for $299. Full price at the "biggies" and online is running ~$500-600, the same I paid for our 27" Sony WEGA a few years ago.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2006, 11:03.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                  Can you get a REALLY good external video processor? Or are you forced to use the built in one?
                  You could go either way. A decent HTPC that can output DVI or HDMI in the natural resoultion, plus a good scaling program, will do a better job than most video scalers they put in TVs these days. Through is a highly customizable program like SageTV and some research on AVSforums and you can make any modern digital TV look pretty amazing.

But don't these TVs have a lag when connected to a video game system?
                  Not that I know of. Maybe the first gen did, but the newest, gen 3 I believe, is supposed to be super responsive. The removal of the color wheel in the design would make it operate just as fast as any non-CRT on a console.

Comment

When my family got our 31" Hitachi around 10 years ago it was about $1k. Still has excellent picture.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Samsung is crap. All Wal-Mart or Sam's sells is crap. Their recent commercial insults stores like mine and the intelligence of the average consumer in one blow. If you REALLY think we sell the same thing for more money, you are a fvcking moron, period. They do not sell Mitsubishi at all, and they only carry a couple of the bottom end Sonys just to say they carry Sony. Most of their offerings are bottom of the barrell crap from brands you've never heard of.. because they are practically the wally world house brands.. they own the factories in China and the slaves that work there 16 hours a day 7 days a week for $40 per month. Most lower class morons know cars, so I would put it to them this way.. what if someone obviously thought a Kia was the same thing as a Mercedes? You'd laugh in their face for being such an utter fool. Well that's exactly the same thing as thinking a Tatung is just as good as a Mitsubishi. Stupid lowlife trailer trash wal-mart shoppers.

If you haven't seen a good looking LCD panel, you're looking in the wrong places. The new Mitsubishi 1080p sets are just about the best I have ever seen.. the Sony XBRs are more or less equivalent. We have a 1080p hdd hooked to the new 37" and it's stunning how awesome it looks. Black levels are great, and it's the first time I could say I'd prefer this picture over the Sony KD34XBR960 34" HDTV CRT set.

If you want to see the best DLP can offer, look at the Mitsubishi Diamond series. They use a new 180w bulb. Oh, and about the bulb.. the plasma sets cost about $400 per year in electricity vs about $100 for the DLP.. more than enough difference to buy a new bulb every 2 to 3 years.

LED is going to be outmoded before it even gets started. When Mitsubishi comes out with laser (yes, LASER) DLP late next year, it should relegate all else to the realm of the ordinary. Like a flat panel, they will be 4" thick, but have huge screen sizes.. 65"-108" is what I've heard. The blue, green, and red lasers will obviate the need for a color wheel, so the one supposed drawback for the DLP will be gone.

Comment

Oh, I agree the stuff that's sold at specialty stores is typically the higher end stuff. All the models for the megachains are stripped down to maximize the profit margins. Mitsubishi sells almost exclusively to the small specialty shops, and makes a great TV. But more than likely the 1080p from Mitsubishi has a good video processor built it. Sony has an outboard video processor for all their high-end lines of flat screens. Not Faroudja good, but better than the crap you get standard.

As for laser DLP, I have heard of it, and seen some trade show testimonials. The LED backlit Samsungs are the evolutionary step between color wheel+lamp to laser. As the Samsung does not a color wheel either. As for quality ... while I doubt it's better than a good Mitsubishi, when you budget is heavily limited and you have three small children running around to break all your expensive stuff ... Samsung is good enough.

Comment

I just hope samsung tv lcd's dont suffer from the "holy cow batman, the batsignal is on" light levels that their computer monitor do. (you could use a samsung lcd monitor as an overhead projector, i's that ****** bright, just load a empty white webpage and your good to go )

If they do I wholly agree with KvH, they are crap
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not referring to anyone here in my rant above.. and Samsung isn't really as bad as many are by a far shot. I just get perturbed when I hear it being talked about as the standard of goodness.

Seeing what I've seen, I don't think I would be satisfied with anything but a Sony or Mitsubishi personally. Nuvision has a pretty good looking LCD flat panel as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
                              (you could use a samsung lcd monitor as an overhead projector, i's that ****** bright, just load a empty white webpage and your good to go )

Sounds like the Westinghouse/Chi Mei Optoelectronics LCD's.

After finding a 17" W/H monitor still in the box by the roadside & hooking it up I was shocked at how bright it was even at the default 50% setting. It was pretty good in color/sharpness so I picked up 2 more on sale @ Best Buy for another triplehead editing rig.

I do, however, run them at 0% brightness lest I cook my retinas
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 25 October 2006, 17:29.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X