Vegemite Banned in the US???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegemite Banned in the US???

OK, first of all, this is not a dig at the U.S, but, what the hell are the FDA thinking?

Here is a link to an article i found about the ban:

Apparently, Folate is only allowed to be added to Bread and Cereals in the U.S, therefore Vegemite is now illegal. Customs etc are taking this so seriously that they are actually searching people looking for "contraband vegemite".

What is this world coming to when you can't even buy something that most people think looks like solidified motor sludge, and doesn't taste any better...

Being a true Aussie, i'm not in the above group however, i love the stuff...
    ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Our government has passed on true power to the corporations. In order to feel somewhat powerful, it thus takes silly things like this seriously, creating even more social demetia.

Comment

I'm not surprised, it's but a very poor imitation of Marmite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Wikipedia left out a country Marmite is available in.
        At the noodle shop next to the hotel we stayed at in China one of the menu items was "Various Marmites."
        Since, we had never heard of it, and "marmite" sounds like a kind of rodent, that is not one of the things we ordered.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
          I'm not surprised, it's but a very poor imitation of Marmite. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
          Trust a bloody pom...

Seriously though, When i was growing up, for a while i went off Vegemite and would only eat Marmite instead. Then about a year later, went back to Vegemite and couldn't stand Marmite. That may be because we get the NZ version of it here in Oz, not the proper UK one.
          ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

The FDA, folate (B9) and stupidity....please read it all

Their fear of "too much" folate is the foolishness from which limitations on its use arose. Unfortunately the FDA, like many federal agencies, has a will of its own that transcends administrations and which party runs Congress.

It seems that stupidity has strong institutional DNA

That said there is now a public education program about folates started by the Dept. of Health, NOT the FDA
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 October 2006, 07:30.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Huh, I guess too much folate must interfere with the mind control drugs or something, 'cause otherwise that's the stupidest...

It's a good thing they banned that stuff, it's dangerous! All hail the FDA!

Comment

Well here in Europe there is a clear benefit, of giving folate supplement to pregnant women, but at the same time, its actually EU law that its not allowed to reinforce food with folate. (though as with all EU laws, there are some countries that have made reservation against the law). And there are downsides of to much follate, such as reduced effect of anti malaria drugs, (see the newest Lancet, for study on interactions between antimalaria drugs and follate, done in Kenya and Nigeria.) which the effect of malaria is worse on the fetal development than potential spina bifida.

JD
                Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Originally posted by James_D
                  And there are downsides of to much follate, such as reduced effect of anti malaria drugs, (see the newest Lancet, for study on interactions between antimalaria drugs and follate, done in Kenya and Nigeria.) which the effect of malaria is worse on the fetal development than potential spina bifida.

JD
                  Ah that makes sense then, especially with the raging malaria epidemics in the UK and US.

Comment

Well, well, the internet strikes again.

Interesting read about the subject:
                    Australians living in the United States are spooked because of rumors of a ban on Vegemite. Recent media reports from Down Under have claimed that U.S....

The rumors about a possible Vegemite ban stem from the spread's high concentration of folate, a water-soluble B vitamin. Folate is a vital nutrient that, among other things, helps form red blood cells and prevents neural tube defects in fetuses. Artificial folate, also known as folic acid, is highly regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, though, and only approved for use in a few foods (such as breakfast cereals). But since Vegemite's folate is naturally occurring—brewers' yeast contains several B vitamins—it is not banned in America. (Nutritionists typically use "folate" when referring to the naturally occurring vitamin and "folic acid" for the synthetic version.)
                    PS http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common...%5E401,00.html
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
                    X