No announcement yet.

All the data on my HD is GONE!!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the data on my HD is GONE!!! Help!

I was trying syscommander and thing went wild.
    The next time I booted my system I could not access my HDs (C-F).

I pluged in my old HD and now when I try to access any of the old HD partitions the PC says the drive is not formated or not functioning.

Is there any way I can save my old data?

Thanks for any help in advance

Hi watahiro,

not to make you nervous, but this smells like CIH, which is around right now. Two points make me think that. The CIH erases the bootblock of the disk, so for an OS it looks unformatted. And you said "trying syscommander"... which sounds like you used one of those "eval versionZ" from the net which in turn are the favourite carriers for CIH sort of stuff. Please don't be offended if I'm wrong, just trying to help
    AFTER viruschecking give Norton Diskdoctor (new version boots off CD) a try, or Tiramisu or whatever software you trust, for rebuilding the bootblock.

Have luck,
    Hellmut

Comment

I tried both and the did not work!!!!

Comment

What does fdisk tell you? Your partitions all still in one piece?
        Try fdisk /mbr, it will replace the master boot record. However, I think Hellmut has you marked.

Wombat

------------------
        503+ rev 1.2a, 128MB PC100 RAM, K6-2/350@400,Win98,G200 Millenium (SGRAM)

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
        X