• Major progress in OLED's

12 mm thick case @ center
    1.8 mm thick panel
    1,600 x 1,200
    0.01 ms response time
    400 cd/m² of brightness
    1,000:1 contrast ratio
    170 deg. viewing angle

OLED's are sometimes "printed" on the substrate (plastic, glass etc.) with Epson tech to lay down the matrix. They could make those things in the shape of Mickey Mouse if they wanted to.

Cambridge Display Technology and Sumation announce rapid progress in the development of longer lifetime blue light emitting polymers suitable for full color, video capable PLED displays.The latest data show a lifetime of 20,000 hours from an initial luminance of 400 cd/m², equivalent to over 320,000 hours from 100 cd/m². This represents a three-fold improvement over the lifetime announced a year ago, and demonstrates the fruits of the collaboration by the development teams and the strong focus on this area. It is believed that there is great potential to make further dramatic improvements.

CDT Sees Rapid Progress In Blue Polymer Lifetime

Submitted by oled on Wed, 06/09/2006 - 05:00

Cambridge Display Technology and Sumation announce rapid progress in the development of longer lifetime blue light emitting polymers suitable for full color, video capable P-OLED displays.

The latest data show a lifetime of 20,000 hours from an initial luminance of 400cd/m², equivalent to over 320,000 hours from 100cd/m². This represents a three-fold improvement over the lifetime announced a year ago, and demonstrates the fruits of the collaboration by the development teams and the strong focus on this area. It is believed that there is great potential to make further dramatic improvements.
    The blue polymers have been the main problem with OLED lifetime.

With my displays I have never found full brightness necessary or even desirable. In fact many of their brightness controlls are set for the minimum of 100cd/m². If this is the case for these OLED's then lifetime isn't really an issue.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 October 2006, 20:14.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Good news! Now if only IBM and Infineon can make such a quantum leap in MRAM tech I'll be happy.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

repost from 2 days ago
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Part 1: missed it
        Part 2: new
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Yeah I think most of us in the tech world have been waiting and hoping for OLEDs to make the leap.
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

You think they're impressive?

Wait 'til you get a load of graphene molecular transistors. We're talking about near-relativistic speeds
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 20 October 2006, 22:59.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X