Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wake on lan: how?

Hello,

Simple question: I have a pc, connected via UTP in network using a router.

Can I wake up the PC from the LAN? (or how can I find this out?)
    If so, how does one do it?

Thanks!

Jorg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

This might help: http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software...an/mini-howto/
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Funny, I came across that link on my search...

It mentions a magic packet, but which software can one use to send this? I found that Intel landesk can do it, but I was wondering if there is free software to send this packet to a PC.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

[Off-topic]
        Back in the modem days the phone in our flat didn't ring, we used to have the wake-* functions turned on in the bios for a spare PC so we knew if the phone was ringing, not a great use of electricity (booting up a whole pc) but hey.
        [Off-topic]
        Last edited by dbdg; 20 October 2006, 08:59.

Comment

I bow for you, oh mighty geek.... )
          (here I was, thinking that a custom ringtone uploaded via PC is geeky... shame on me... )

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Depicus has what you need for Win32 from the GUI and the commandline.

Sometimes the settings need to be set both in the NIC setup utility AND in Windows to work correctly.
            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Cool, thanks!
              (mainly it is just because I'm too lazy to get up and press the power button.....)

I'll give it a go.

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

I'm not sure what I shoud enable in the bios of my mainboard...

This is the mainboard:

The only thing I find in the manual (also on the above link) regarding Wake-On-Lan has to do with a Wake-On-Lan header in the event another network card is used.
                There is the "Onboard LAN OPROM Configure", which can be enabled or disabled, but I gather this has to do with booting from a network (PXE).

Could it be that it doesn't support Wake-On-Lan on its onboard network card?

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Set your ACPI State to S3 under "Advanced" settings in the BIOS. In Windows, you will have to download the latest Intel PROSet drivers (v10.3) and install them.

Go to your network adapter (Start->Run->Control.exe ncpa.cpl) right click on your adapter, select "Properties", then "Configure". Look for the "Power Management" tab. Look for the Wake on LAN menu: Select "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on Magic Packet" from power off state. You should at that point be good to go.
                  Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Thanks!

I'm am now using v10.1

I noticed that v10.4 has also been released (on the SuperMicro site); they are dated March 2006, so I'm getting those...

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

In the powermanagement tab, I have two options (this tab and the options were present in the Proset 10.1).
                      1. allow the system to save power by shutting down this device
                      2. allow this device to bring the system from standby

First option is unchecked, but the second option is greyed out (and unchecked).

So I can't activate it... I guess this means the onboard adapter does not support wake on lan?

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

Working...
                      X