44 degrees C good temp for a PII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 degrees C good temp for a PII?

Well, I just O/Ced my PII 400 to 496MHZ, 4x on a 124MHZ bus. Is 44 degrees C an acceptable normal running temperature, or am I burning my processor? How does this 82.6MHZ AGP speed handle? Is it going to go bananas with a new AGP card like the G400? My PCI bus can handle it so far. thanks!
    neo

------------------
    Asus P2B-F, 400MHZ Pentium II, 128MB Micron PC133, Maxtor 4GB, SB AWE 32, Sony Trinitron 17", Old Matrox Video Card

The temp is fine. However the question I have to ask is what is the temp after playing Q2 for an hour or so. This is what you need to test.

Only time will tell for the G400. It is hard to speculate on something like that.

The 44 is fine for the temp. If it gets above 50-55 degrees than I would worry.

Comment

Can try running prime95's torture test and see how high the temperature rise....

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Comment

Wow! I guess I am lucky, my Celeron 300A o/c'd to 464MHz with Retail h/s fan only gets to about 89F (31.67c) after about an hour of Half-Life. Of course my case looks like this though:

By the way, that is a 17" monitor next to the case...

[This message has been edited by jeepman (edited 06-07-99).]
        Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

What kinda case is that? And where'd you get it from? I am looking for a new case to replace my heat builder.

Thanks

Comment

Looks like an Addtronics ATX Server case, but I may be wrong. Addtronics is the only company I kow of that uses the swing side door design and has fan mounts for every square inch of the case. My Addtronics has 5 fans in it, and I still have one more fan mount to fill.

Jammrock

PS - www.addtronics.com

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 06-08-99).]
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock: Can you recommend one of these cases? I looked at them last year. Just have a problem with the name of the company.

------------------
              Flangor StrongAxe
              flangor@matroxusers.com
              Who will win the vid card wars? Matrox, nVidia or 3dfx?

Comment

Addtronics cases ROCK!!!!! I own a 6896A case and it is by far the best computer case I have ever used or worked on. And since I am a part time system builder and a full time computer technician that says quite a bit. The case I have has a HUGE air intake, with a dust filter on the front (when my computer is running you can feel the air flow going into the case, it's cool). There are air vents in the back and on the top. You can put 3 fans up front, 2 blow across the motherboard and 1 blows air under the hard drive mounts (which hangs from the chasis). There is a fan in the power supply and 2 fan mounts on the 5 1/4" bay to suck hot air out of the case. The case is extremely spacious and VERY easy to work with.

The front pops on and off with no problem and all you need to do is loosen 2 screws to release a side of the case (you don't actually have to remove them which is cool because you never lose the screws). The side swivels open and can be removed if you want. The motherboard plate is attached to the peripheral card brace and can be removed by unscrewing 4 easy to reach screws. The steel used in the case is very high gauge, which makes the case very heavy (~35 lbs. or 15 kg) but it is very sturdy and well balanced (the 4 inch feet help out too).

All in all, it is an awesome case. The ONLY downfall to Addtronics cases is price. Mine cost $119 for the case w/ 1 fan + $7 per fan (I bought 3 extra) + $18 shipping for regular UPS ground = ~$157. But if you are a computer psycho like I am, it is well worth the money. Especially since I am always in my case doing something to the hardware.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

$157!!! You are lucky. I got my case from Fry's for $399USD + 7.75% CA sales tax three years ago! It does not have a name on it anywhere. It is an AT case that I have modified after switching to an ATX board (AX6BC-R). I had to use a Dremel tool, and I went through 4 of the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels! You are right, the case steel is about 1 mm thick!

The case originally had a 300W x 2 redundant Power Supply. Man, I hated taking that out. I did replace the PS with a HP Server 350W supply that is ATX, but is the old AT form factor. I saved about $400 because that is how much an ATX PS in the AT form factor costs! I work at a company that works for most of the major vendors. This was one freebie that really paid off.

The PS has a 5 inch fan, along with the two 5 inch in-flow fans in front, two 4 inch out flow fans, and the 4 inch cross flow fan all combine to keep the temps in line.

Anyways, it is a fun case. I have seven drives for 38GB total, and two CD roms and a tape b/u. I put it on a watt meter from work once, and between the system and monitor it draws about 388 watts total after startup! I use NT so I am not Power Management friendly. Too bad...
                  Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

Working...
                  X