Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Video iPod have Windows virus

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows VirusWe recently discovered that a small number - less than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known virus affects only Windows computers, and up to date anti-virus software which is included with most Windows computers should detect and remove it. So far we have seen less than 25 reports concerning this problem. The iPod nano, iPod shuffle and Mac OS X are not affected, and all Video iPods now shipping are virus free. As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

It's rather sad to see Apple throw in some blame there. We all know Windows is prone to being susceptible to such things, but that quip was definitely uncalled for, even with it being somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Obviously the inclusion of the virus was not something Apple was directly responsible for, but it did effectively happen under its watch, and as such I would have hoped for something more than links to trials of anti-virus software.

This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened, but Apple dropped the ball in its response. It needs to seriously bring out the whip on the contract manufacturers and distribution/packaging locations to make sure proper QA checks are being done.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Would have been funny if it had shipped with one of the handful of OSX viruses...

And Apple has no grounds to be shouting "look at us virus free" when as recently as OS9 there were more viruses for Macs than for any other platform!
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Macs already do, the difference being that none of them actually work (for OS X; there were several for classic versions that were dangerous). It's also highly debatable that OS X would ever have the vast security issues that Windows has had, though no OS is impervious to such things in the end.

As far as Apple shouting, "virus free", well OS X is not OS 9 or any other previous version. Completely different operating systems. Nevermind that Linux distros do it as well, and MS would be too if they could (they just might if Vista turns out to be secure). It's simple marketing, but definitely should not have made an appearance in a disclosure like this.

Of course if you're running Boot Camp your Mac is already susceptible

Edit: Just for reference, there are somewhere around 40 Mac-specific viruses and other security threats, not all of which affect the pre-OS X systems across the board.
        Last edited by Jessterw; 18 October 2006, 21:18.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
          (they just might if Vista turns out to be secure).
          Secure? they try but http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...006/10/17/5655

Comment

Working...
          X