• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NK: ready to test H-bomb

‘North Korea Will Test H-Bomb’

By Lee Jin-woo
    Staff Reporter

A Korean-Japanese scholar who is considered North Korean leader Kim Jong-il’s unofficial spokesman said yesterday that Pyongyang has a hydrogen bomb it would test as part of a series of actions mentioned in its statement against the United States.

In an interview with MBC radio, Kim Myong-chol, director of the Center for Korean-American Peace, a Japan-based pro-North Korean research agency, said the Stalinist state is ready to test its H-bomb or conduct a nuclear test larger than its proclaimed test on Monday.

The North’s Foreign Ministry issued a statement Wednesday that it would respond with a series of physical measures if Washington steps up pressure on Pyongyang.

Asked to provide evidence that the North has developed its own thermonuclear weapons, Kim replied, ``That’s why we are going to test the bomb. A test will prove that we’ve got everything necessary just as we had with our nuclear weapons.’’
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Ok, if NK has an H-Bomb they need to get glassed.

Comment

As noted in another thread; if you have a 1kt or larger core building the fusion secondary isn't that difficult.

Most of the materials can come from any decent nuclear program and the styrofoam is ubiqutous. Lithium-6 Deuteride, a crystalline solid, is the actual fusion material. It's tricky to work with being flammable and reactive with water, but manageable.

The Teller-Ulam configuration makes use of the fact that in a fission bomb 80% plus of the energy is low energy gamma (x-rays). The speed of this radiation from the fission core greatly exceeds the blasts expansion rate, so it's possible to use the x-rays to compress & ignite a separate fusion core through radiation implosion before the expanding trigger destroys it. Additional pressure is generated by the conversion of the styrofoam into plasma.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 October 2006, 19:57.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X