SAMSUNG's Super Thin "Amoled" Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAMSUNG's Super Thin "Amoled" Displays

These days it seems if it's not thin, Samsung ain't in it. They even brought their skinny ethic to desktop PCs and computer mice yesterday, so it's only natural that they'd follow those up with an incredibly skinny AMOLED desktop display to complete the setup. The active matrix / organic light emitting diode hybrid AMOLED technology has been a Samsung favorite, providing bright, colorful displays in quite thin form factors, since there's no need for a backlight. This new 17-inch display, however, is the largest we've seen by far. At a mere 12mm thick, the display rocks a 1,600 x 1,200 resolution, less than 0.01ms response time, 400 nits of brightness and a 1,000:1 contrast ratio. Of course, it's all conceptual for now, and there's no telling when this kind of display will make it to market, but it sure will be a welcome sight when it does.

Thin, eh?

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

combined with 0.01ms response, 1000:1 contrast ratio, it does look very nice
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I'm getting all hot in the pants here. Will it be cheaper than LCD as previously promised?

Comment

ooooo I want 20 of those. It would be interesting to see how one of these looks next to an existing lcd display.
        Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

About the same but faster, possibly higher resolution and eventually much cheaper. As in commodity cheap.

Many OLED's are 'printed' using Epson tech to lay down the polymers on the substrate, often a plastic similar to potato chip bags, acrylic, glass etc. As such you could in principle order a monitor the shape/configurtion of your choosing.

Triplehead, square arrays, huge panels....whatever you need without bezel grids or seams. Bladerunner style blimp? No problem. Last I heard the Epson tech could print up to 10' wide and as long as the plastic roll...mebbe 100'. Later, who knows?

Anyone for LED wallpaper? You could change the color/pattern of your interior decorations like you would your Windows backdrop. That or have a whole-wall TV for the Super Bowl.

Not too unlike The Governator's house in "Total Recall".
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 October 2006, 17:02.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Anyone for LED wallpaper? You could change the color/pattern of your interior decorations like you would your Windows backdrop. That or have a whole-wall TV for the Super Bowl.

You mean something like this Doc??

paulw

Comment

About the same but faster, possibly higher resolution and eventually much cheaper. As in commodity cheap.

Many OLED's are 'printed' using Epson tech to lay down the polymers on the substrate, often a plastic similar to potato chip bags, acrylic, glass etc. As such you could in principle order a monitor the shape/configurtion of your choosing.

Triplehead, square arrays, huge panels....whatever you need without bezel grids or seams. Bladerunner style blimp? No problem. Last I heard the Epson tech could print up to 10' wide and as long as the plastic roll...mebbe 100'. Later, who knows?

Now this just reminded me of Dennis Hopper movie with him saying something like:

...so the seventies will make the eighties look like they were in the sixties ....
              Can’t remember what the movie title was…..

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Pretty much resolved. CDT has blue's MTBF up to 20,000 hours @ 400 candela and an estimated 320,000 hours at 100 candela, and rising very fast. The have been upgrading blue significantly about every 3 months.

Don't know about your displays but I have mine turned down to the minimum, ~100-150 candela, because more is too bright. If the OLED's are the same then 320k hours sounds long enough

ND66: that movie was "Flashback" (1990)

paulw:
                yup, but plasma would cost a lot and use too much power. It would also turn the room into an oven in summertime.
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 24 October 2006, 08:32.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

ND66: that movie was "Flashback" (1990)
                  Yup, thanks for sparing my sanity.

I was going crazy trying to remember that title.
                  Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Working...
                  X