66 extra MHz or FSB533?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 extra MHz or FSB533?

Having decided to spend the PC upgrade cash on a couple of nice trips, I figure I might as well scavenge something from the office if it's worthwhile...one of the items in question is a 2.6GHz FSB400 Northwood P4 currently residing in one of the office PCs. I have a 2.53GHz FSB533 Northwood P4 and was wondering if the swap is worthwhile.

I know it's just a tiny difference, but was wondering if some OC is more feasible with the FSB400 part (my current CPU won't go higher than 2.7, but it could be because of my RAM). I'll have DDR400 sticks in the machine, but unfortunately only DDR266 support from the i845E chipset.

So, does anyone have some previous experience messing around with these thingies? It's been a while since I've OCed, but I have a 460W power supply, so along with the DDR400 I figured I could eek a bit more performance out of it.

Thanks in advance for any info
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

The thing is - you don't really notice a difference with faster/slower ram, I never have.

If you figure you can get a much higher cpu speed when overclocking with the 2.6 then go for it, otherwise don't. Don't worry about the RAM speed.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Actually, the reason I mentioned the RAM speed is because now my sticks are 1x266 and 2x333 (for a total of 768MB)...if I go higher than 533 with the CPU FSB, I also overclock my solitary stick of DDR266 past its spec, so I figure the OC limit lies there...I'll swap the sticks out for 2x512MB DDR400 and hopefully get some more OC leeway like that.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

cant you just switch up the timings? I had to lower my RAM:FSB because I would be beyond the spec of my ram. I am actually at DDR384 or something like that right now, at any other ratio I would go beyond the spec'd DDR400. I will take 600mhz CPU over faster ram anyday.
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
        X