DDG-1000 stealth destroyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDG-1000 stealth destroyer

The lead boat of the class will be christened the "Zumwalt" after Admiral Elmo "Bud" Zumwalt Jr, former Chief of Naval Operations (CNO).

On radar the 600 foot (183 m) 14,500 ton Zumwalt class will look like a small fishing boat.

The Advanced Gun System will be able to fire 600 GPS-guided Long Range Land Attack Projectiles in only 30 minutes or plant six of them in the same spot at the same time. AGS will employ 155mm munitions capable of hitting targets accurately at up to 100 nautical miles.

Associated with the gun are fire control functionality integrated into the Total Ship Computing Environment (TSCE), an automated magazine and low-radar and IR signatures for the guns and their barrels.

Additional firepower is provided by 80 missile launchers around its perimeter, which are loaded with Tomahawk cruise and other missiles.

A dual-band radar system searches both the sky and the sea surface to locate targets as small as a terrorist speeding in on a small boat or Jet Ski. Advanced sonar is contained in the bow bulb. At the heart of the ship's Integrated Undersea Warfare System will be a dual (high /medium) frequency bow array and a multi-function towed array.

Helicopter operations occur on the rear flight deck supported by a hanger at the rear of the superstructure.

The DDG 1000 will have a 36 MW gas turbine generator combined with an all-electric drive integrated power system (IPS) based on in-hull permanent magnet synchronous motors (PMMs) with Advanced Induction Motors (AIM) as a backup system. The electric drive eliminates the need for a drive shaft and reduction gears. It also results in acoustic signature reduction, an increase in available power for weapon systems and improvements in the quality of life for the crew.

The IPS also supplies power to the combat systems and allows the rapid reconfiguration of power requirements.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 October 2006, 06:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

One word...WOW!!

Comment

Based on Norwegian technology.

Considering how the current patern on us army uniform is also a Canadian design, how far will American outsourcing go?

Meh; if it gets us a few f35s I wouldn't mind so much
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Considering how the current patern on us army uniform is also a Canadian design, how far will American outsourcing go?
        I'd just like to see them ditch those pseudo-nazi helmets and go back to the old WWII era "GI Joe" design.

(Yeah, I know it will never happen. Cool ship, though.)

Kevin

Comment

This thing's mission envelope could be done with a submersible vessel....complete with the Helicopter afterdeck and hangar.

Waaaay back in the 1980's Vosper toyed with the idea of a submersible aircraft carrier for the Harrier jump jets.

Forget the Gas Turbine, let's make it nuclear and a sub.
          Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Working...
          X