Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who said you can’t win a game with a defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who said you can’t win a game with a defense?

I used to say that all the time, until last night.
    Did you see Monday Night Football?

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- Six turnovers, 3 points on offense, and somehow the Chicago Bears are still unbeaten.

Somehow, some way, the Bears rallied from 20 points down at halftime and escaped with a 24-23 victory in Arizona on Monday night, leaving the shellshocked Cardinals to ponder yet another excruciating late-game collapse.

The Bears are off to their best start in 20 years at 6-0. For that, they can thank their defense, punt returner Devin Hester and Arizona kicker Neil Rackers.

Rex Grossman gets no credit for this one.

"I've never played so bad and won a game like that," said the Bears quarterback, who threw four interceptions and lost two fumbles. "It was unbelievable."

Down 20-0 at halftime, Chicago returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the second half. Then Hester returned a punt 83 yards for a score with 2:58 remaining to take the lead.

....."The way things have turned out is just unreal," Edgerrin James said. "This is some of the weirdest stuff I have ever seen in these past six weeks." ....

....Chicago entered the game with five turnovers in five games, 10 fewer than their foes. But it was evident early that this would be a frightful night with the roof open for the first time in Arizona's extravagant new stadium.

"In the NFL, when you have six turnovers, you lose," Bears defensive end Alex Brown said. "If you're fortunate enough to win, somebody upstairs is looking out for you."
    The stats are here:
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Isn't that how the Ravens won superbowl 35?

Comment

Historically, whenever the #1 D and the #1 offense played against each other in the Super Bowl the #1 D always win.

The Ravens made it to the big dance with their defense. They won because of offense. Go figure.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yup, strong defense usually beats strong offense.

Now....what about the Detroit Tigers in the world series? #1 in pitching, strong defense and strong hitting to boot. Go figure a team with no less than four 100-103 mph pitchers
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

Now....what about the Detroit Tigers in the world series? #1 in pitching, strong defense and strong hitting to boot. Go figure a team with no less than four 100-103 mph pitchers

... the White Sox will beat them ...

Comment

In what century?
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Just hoping for a repeat... .

Comment

That was an incredible game to watch. I couldn't believe the score when I got home and saw the Bears behind 20-0 It looked like Arizona just had a curse put on them in the fourth quarter though. That was just unreal.

Comment

Working...
                X