Who remembers Wing Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remembers Wing Commander?

Anyway, after Wing Commander 4, Mark Hamill left the scene to make another adventure game call "The Black Dahlia".
    That never took off, and all of a sudden a month ago it was launched as a movie which wasn't a big hit.

The question is, what really happened to the game "The Black Dahlia" that never made it to stores?

Cheers,
    Elie

I loved the wing commander series, as for "The Black Dahila" I have no idea.
    But I do remember "Gabrielle Knight - Sins of the fathers" with Hamel and Tim Curry.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I remember playing Wing Commander on my Amiga 1200, it was pretty fun.

Comment

Hm I loved the Wing Commander series, from the first till the last, though there is still some fan based development of the Wing Commander Prophecy, called the Last stand.

And Mark Hamill also played in the WC prophecy, where he ended a heroes death.

JD
        Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

I remember being amazed at the sounds coming from my soundblaster 2.0 when the origin intro orchestra played. Must have played that game alot.

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T3; Actually I think it was jumpers.

Comment

Wing Commander was my FAVORITE game series forever when I was younger. More than Doom I felt full immersion with these games. Oddly before or since I haven't been a big fan of flight simulators.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I wasn't into PC/MAC/Amiga games back then. The closest thing I ever played was a game called Tachyon something with Bruce Cambell doing voice overs.

Comment

I actually still have a copy of Wing Command IV. Good stuff those games were. Gabriel Knight was a favorite as well.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

I think i still have copies of III and IV still. The Gabriel Knight game was pretty fun too.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

My father had a 80286AT/NEAT PC that time with 16MHz. Wing Commander was great on that machine.
                    It had a SoundBlaster 16 MultiCD in it and I bought a Roland Wavetable SCD-15 (General Midi [GM] + General Synth [GS]) for 800 DM (~400 EUR) back then from an ESCOM store in Oldenburg (Germany). VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
                    This really was something. I know the Amiga and Atari ST users where very jealous, when Wing Commander came out on the PC and they saw it could hear the great sound.
                    Before that they only laughed because I didn't have an Amiga or Atari ST.

By the way I still have the SB16+Wavetable running here in my Dual CPU Server (2x200 MHz Intel Pentium), which is running eComStation and responsible for the Internet Access from other computers in the network at home. I should connect the telephone telephone installation to run an endless MIDI file.
                    cu/2 magog - Germany - flying with OS/2 Warp speed...in a vehicle named eComStation (eCS)
                    ---
                    Author of the Java Movie Database - http://www.jmdb.de
                    JMDB v1.35 FINAL is available (2007-09-20)
                    Homepage: http://www.juergen-ulbts.de/

Comment

There is a patch to run WC IV under Windows 9x, and I did get it to run on WIndows XP with sound and everything, the only thing that didn't work is the joystick.
                      Mine is USB and it didn't recognize it!
                      Otherwise I would play it all over again!

the other series of games that I really liked is the Tex Murphy games, simply amazing, and I also felt full immersion all the way to Overseer, which plays fine under Windows XP (very little crashes)

Great to see alot of WC fans!

Comment

I have still have WC and WCIII boxes at home. I actually scanned my boxes for the Wikipedia articles. I've played em all except IV, but I just got the DVD edition of that one and am going to get around to it eventually here. I re-beat WCIII about 6 months ago. Those games were so amazing back in the day. Of course, now days nobody can see what we saw in those oldies. Man how things have changed (and not for the better for the most part IMO.)

Oh, and it's SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4 here, from my SBPRO2. LOL. Yah u definitely set those cards by jumpers. BLASTER is an environment var for DOS so games could easily detect your card settings.

Maybe one day EA will see a business opportunity with their ownership of WC again. But, I dunno.

Comment

I too remember WC... It was probably one of my favorite games of all times. Such immersion.... I think i still haven`t found something as immersive as that on the PC... Eye of the beholder I & II ... Sheesh! ... Old games (especially Amiga ones) had ... SOMETHING ... indescribable. Charm, maybe... Ahhhh... Those were the days...
                          Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Since there are so many fans in here, check out http://www.wcnews.com/

There you will find tools that enables you to play all the WCs if you want, and still have to the game lying around. And also addons, and news about WC.

JD
                            Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Thanks James!!!!!

Will give it a try tonight, cheers!

Elie

Comment

Working...
                              X