Multiplayer AMD 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplayer AMD 4x4

Due to the AMD architecture of having NUMA. (i.e. each processor has it's own memory and controller). and the fact that you can have a seggregated HT links to each graphics card.

Imho this leads to the possiblility with SLI etc. For 2 people to play on one computer at the same time, just plug in an extra keyboard and mouse each has their own screen. People don't use all 7.1 normally that comes on the sound cards. Maybe one can be the sound for the other guy.

Games like flight simulators could benefit greatly from this. Plus it would be a bit more sociable. With virtualisation?, you could play two different games at once. Your wife could be sorting out the household accounts whilst you are playing a computer game (however unlikely that may be )

It gets better; one of ATI's new AMD chipsets will support up to 4 PCIe display cards.

IMO we're rapidly moving towards a "home supercomputer"; one box from which each household member operates their own virtualized terminal, each with an assignable # of cores, connected by either wired, optical or wireless connections (NOT ME!).

The AMD 4x4 is a big move in this direction with it having dual sockets each capable of taking their 4-core when it arrives. As boards with multiple socket F's arrive the sky's the limit.

Add some HTX (hypertransport) slots & Yummy
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 16 October 2006, 13:39.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

If they manage to keep the temperature and noise levels down while keeping it from becoming a dust trap, I think that'll be almost worthy of the title 'miracle machine'.
      "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

That chipset is the RD-790 and roadmaps as 2008. It'll support dual PCIe x16 or quad PCIe x8 graphics w/HyperTransport 3.0 and Dx-10 support. The RX-790 will not support CrossFire.
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Maybe when ht 3.0 pci express 2 comes around we will have hi-fi style seperates stacker systems, but with computer bits inside. That is what I would like to see!!!! Completely modular pc. No messing around with power supply wattage and restrictions / board dimensions for I/o + more optimised cooling.

= Data + I/O Module + Networking
          = Processing module + Memory
          = Graphics Module (akin to that thing from Nvidia with multiple quadros in a seperate housing).
          = Audio Module

Ok pitfalls could be connector reliability, increased signal path. Mac mini style super stacker

That's what I would like to see in a few years time. With all this new serial i/o that is being refined, I would like to see someone try.

There is so much wasted space in most desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
            Maybe when ht 3.0 pci express 2 comes around we will have hi-fi style seperates stacker systems, but with computer bits inside. That is what I would like to see!!!! Completely modular pc. No messing around with power supply wattage and restrictions / board dimensions for I/o + more optimised cooling.

= Data + I/O Module + Networking
            = Processing module + Memory
            = Graphics Module (akin to that thing from Nvidia with multiple quadros in a seperate housing).
            = Audio Module
            We're back to what the Amiga was all about 15 years ago LOL

All the better for the consumer, I'm all for it!

Comment

Working...
            X