drool: Olympus E-400.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drool: Olympus E-400.

okay... now you're asking: "it's just small DSLR, with lousy small CCD, so what's worth of drooling it? It's not even close to Canon EOS-400D..."

well, to me the size of the DSLR's has been a bit problematic, because even with smallest prime lenses, the thing gets so big that you can't keep it in your neck under the jacket without looking redicilously poofy (read: fat.)

I didn't make big note even about the E-400, until I saw it in scale to normal hand: this thing fits on palm. okay, so what? that's without lens and Oly does not have very small prime lenses... oh wait a minute, what's the fuzz about Panasonic / Leica's upcoming 25mm f1.4? oh yes, the size and the quality. The more I read, more I wanted this combo. It really does not help that I have been still using my Rangefinder (1971 Ricoh 500G) and with good prime, E-400 could be really replacing the Ricoh, plus I still would get most of the advanced features that SLRs have compared to RF'es.

so, it might be close that I (at last) move to DSLR. It's not happening before next year, because I am expecting the price drop a bit after the release.

I am primarily looking it for replacement to that RF I mentioned, but eventually after getting some more lenses, It will be replacing my UltraZoom as well.

any comments? I know this forum is full of Nikon, Canon and Minolta/Sony fans/users, but I am still asking how you see this camera placing in market. In many places it has been left to in shadow of 400D release.
    "Dippadai"

Looks interesting, too bad is not for the US... .

From DPreview.com

...The slightly odd, sad news, for many of our readers is that this camera will not be available in North America (news I'm sure that will go down like a lead balloon on our forums). That makes it the first digital SLR not to have a worldwide release, so get ready for the grey imports.
    Statement regarding E-400:

It is not uncommon for products to be available in select regions. In the Americas, we chose to focus on the Evolt E-500 and Evolt E-330 due to their overwhelming success. Both products have won multiple awards.

Our E-Series products were recently recognized for customer satisfaction for cameras over $600 by J.D. Power and Associates. The Evolt E-330 received "Editor's Choice Award"s from American Photo and PC Magazine. The Evolt E-500 was also named "Best Buy" by PC World.

Pre-Photokina 2006: Olympus has today announced a new ten megapixel compact digital SLR with the retro-good-looks of past Olympus film SLR's. Other headline features are the Supersonic Wave Filter for dust reduction, a 2.5" LCD monitor, three frames per second continuous shooting and an easier to use interface. In addition there's also a new Zuiko Digital lens, the 14-42 mm F3.5-F5.6 which is set to become the E-400's kit lens. The slightly odd, sad news, for many of our readers is that this camera will not be available in North America (news I'm sure that will go down like a lead balloon on our forums). That makes it the first digital SLR not to have a worldwide release, so get ready for the grey imports. UPDATE 15/09/2006: Olympus US has provided an official statement on their reasons for not taking the E-400.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Is this the lens you're talking about?

The Latest on Digital Cameras, New Cameras, Scanners, Software, & More. Informative & Up To Date Articles, News, Current Reviews, & Specifications!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66
        Is this the lens you're talking about?

The Latest on Digital Cameras, New Cameras, Scanners, Software, & More. Informative & Up To Date Articles, News, Current Reviews, & Specifications!

actually yes,
        It's here more in detail: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/produc...le.html#pana25
        And I found an alternative one, if Leica / Panasonic would turn out to be very expensive one...
        Sigma has 30mm f1.4: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...00&navigator=6

...which seems to be very good as well. (remember that while 4:3 system isn't cropping the image, it still has focal lenght is 1/2 compared to 35 mm system. Panasonic/Leica has 50mm and Sigma has 60mm in 35mm system.)

while the E-400 (no kit version) seems to be priced in 850 Euros here, the Sigma's costs 450 Euros, so that combo will be starting somewhere 1300 Euros... (which my common sense says being too much, but heart is saying that GO and get one NOW! )

...argh... must try... delay the decision to next year... for price drops...

"Dippadai"

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1
          ...argh... must try... delay the decision to next year... for price drops...

...or wait for the new (worldwide) model to show up. Most likely it will...

Comment

I got hold to E-400 and with Zuiko 35mm f3.5, it felt like a real range finder with changeable lenses. I just love it. Luckily to my wallet, there's only samples of E-400 in the country, sooo I didn't picked up one yet.

some testers have told that they do not like the way you take grip of it, but that is mostly because they have gotten used to Canon/Nikon DSLR hand grips, while E-400 is as close to tradiotional camera grip (basically no designed hand grip what so ever) so if you have film background of OM-series, you gonna love it.

Also, using some bigger lenses wil make it look quite redicilous, because the small size. The kit lenses looked alright though and as I said earlier, E-400 really shines when paired with some small and fast primes, like Zuiko 35/3.5, Sigma 30/1.4 or Leica 25/1.4.
            Last edited by Nappe1; 5 November 2006, 09:44.
            "Dippadai"

Comment

I think I've decided on the Canon 400D anyway. I'm looking at the kit package that comes with the EF-S 17-85mm IS USM lens. Much better (but also much more expensive) than the 18-55mm kit lens.

Anyone know where I can get one in Toronto for the best price? So far the best I've found is Aden Camera (pacific mall) for $1529. Just waiting for a better sale...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
              X