Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So much for home-built computers, at least with Vista...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for home-built computers, at least with Vista...

The new Vista license says the license can be moved ONE time to another system. And as we all know, after enough HW changes of your current system, the OS will automatically assume it's no longer the original and require reactivation.

You will also not be allowed to use the home editions in a VM, nor will the basic home edition allow transfer of ISOs to the hard disk.

There's also the limitation to networking with a maximum of 5 devices/computers with that very basic of editions.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

This is an open invitation for Apple to release an OSX for PC's as an independent product. At the right box price and with their extra license pricing they'd never miss their H/W sales dropoff.
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 October 2006, 18:49.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Wow ... let's analyze this shall we? Who is Vista Ultimate designed for? Enthusists, hobbyists, power users, etc. Retail it costs $400 USD. So basically, MS is telling the power users, their target audience for Ultimate edition, that every third time they upgrade their system they have to fork out another $400 for the OS?

Not a very smart move IMO.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

On the other hand, 5 networked devices doesn't seem like too little for the basic version. Let's wait and see, I'm probably getting a MacBook anyway once Leopard gets close enough for me to get it for free.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It may be enough for some, but it's a self-imposed limitation that is rather pointless and has the potential to be irksome as consumers increase the number of networked devices in their homes (devices would include other PCs I imagine).

MS has truly lost its way on Vista with all this.

Comment

XP makes you phone microsoft once you've used the same key twice - this is probably no different. I am sure there is a way to get your key reactivated. Otherwise there will always be cracks.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                This is an open invitation for Apple to release an OSX for PC's as an independent product. At the right box price and with their extra license pricing they'd never miss their H/W sales dropoff.
                i don't think they'll have to. i think the mountain will go to mohamad.

i predict in about 1 year to two's time Apple will start seeing a significant spike in market share. they already doing adds, intel chips, boot camp.

i think they smartly going after a weakness in m$ ...with a little help from friends like intel +=ok lets just it's a big mountain of bunnys

/meow
                Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                Asus Striker ][
                8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
                Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                  XP makes you phone microsoft once you've used the same key twice - this is probably no different. I am sure there is a way to get your key reactivated. Otherwise there will always be cracks.
                  I have had to phone activate first time ever used OEM keys....
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

At work we've got one copy of Home Edition which we use to repair Student machines as long as they got the sticker on the hardware. Microsoft have always let us activate over the phone once we've explained the situ.
                    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                      i don't think they'll have to. i think the mountain will go to mohamad.
                      That eliminates a lot of upgrade sales. Not everyone will buy a new system to get rid of Windoze.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

If you have to anyway to upgrade to vista?
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't have to x 10
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Paul Thurrott has a posted his take on the EULA changes:
                            Gathering the right people, content and resources, IT Pro gives professionals insight into the technologies and skills needed to take on the challenges

While I'm not sure I agree with some of what he says, in terms of the what the XP vs. Vista licenses are allowing, but he does clear up any confusion on what Vista's licensing is and is not allowing in this limited scope.

No mention of the ISO issue for Vista Home Basic, which I'm hoping (not that I will even been touching Vista) that it's simply a mis-interpretation of some legalese or such.

Still, I would find it hard to invest money in a new PC if it were somehow illegal to move that included OS to any subsequent PCs I might acquire (if that OS were no longer being used on any previous PCs). Obviously this isn't something that has been or likely will be enforced beyond maybe having to beg someone on the opposite of the telephone that you're not some kind of criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
                              Still, I would find it hard to invest money in a new PC if it were somehow illegal to move that included OS to any subsequent PCs I might acquire (if that OS were no longer being used on any previous PCs). Obviously this isn't something that has been or likely will be enforced beyond maybe having to beg someone on the opposite of the telephone that you're not some kind of criminal.
                              This is already the case with XP OEM licenses (and Win2K I believe, as well).
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X