No announcement yet.

Eudora development moves to Mozilla....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eudora development moves to Mozilla....

Eudora morphs into Thunderbird

Mozilla Foundation has new baby

By Drew Cullen in San Francisco
    Published Wednesday 11th October 2006 20:02 GMT

Qualcomm is to stop selling Eudora, the venerable email client, and is hand over development to the Mozilla Foundation.

This makes a deal of sense: Qualcomm always was a strange home for Eudora - it does cell phone chips, not desktop software.

In future, Eudora will be free and open source - while "retaining Eudora's uniquely rich feature set and productivity enhancements". And it will share the same cross-platform code base as the Thunderbird, Mozilla's open-source email program. Hopefully, this will mean improvements to Thunderbird, as well as greater stability for Eudora.
    >
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Qualcomm is still going to be developing Eudora, it will just be using Thunderbird as a base. Not quite the same thing as handing it over to Mozilla.

Obviously the writer for that particular article doesn't know the history either, if he doesn't know why Qualcomm is the 'home' of Eudora.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

But the big question is... will Eudora start being worth buying again?
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Well you can start to answer that by asking yourself if Thunderbird is worth buying? Then again, the new Eudora will be free anyhow, just like TB.

I still find TB to be a bit of a disappointment overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
          Well you can start to answer that by asking yourself if Thunderbird is worth buying? Then again, the new Eudora will be free anyhow, just like TB.

I still find TB to be a bit of a disappointment overall.
          Eudora is one of those "functional but really non-ergonomic" programs. TB, similar.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

That pretty well sums it up, though what I find disappointing is broken features that have been broken from the get-go, receive a good deal of commentary from users, and yet receive no real attention from the developers.

IMAP support would be a good example of this. It's there. It works. It doesn't work well.

Of course, when your sister project hogs all the attention and developers...

Comment

Originally posted by Jessterw
              IMAP support would be a good example of this. It's there. It works. It doesn't work well.
              Works better than it does in Outlook/Outlook Express
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yes well, that's like saying snails are faster than slugs. They're both still damn slow.

Comment

Can't say I've had any problems using IMAP with Thunderbird
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I've had issues with syncing, corruption of local copies, and a few other things. This is on Windows XP and Mac OS X.

Save for my work email, everything I do is via IMAP, and even my work email gets backed-up to IMAP. So I fall into the category of extremely heavy usage. If it's going to break I'll break it.

That's not to say that TB doesn't handle IMAP better than most, because it is competent enough, but I need more than that.

Comment

IMAP works very stable here in Outlook 2k3, other than some features missing compared to pop3 (like auto-archive, and usability features when handling imap subfolders). This with a 80MB mailbox containing thousands of mails

Comment

Working...
                      X