Opteron 185

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opteron 185

Just picked up one of these for £190 from scan uk, which I thought was quite good. What quiet case/psu would you guys reccomend? Antec P150 / Sonata II.

Got a Asus mATX socket 939 mobo with onboard graphics and 1 gig of DDR-400 memory non ECC i hope that was the right sort.

You're going to need @ the very least a 1000w supply!

No rely, the problem is not knowing what all you are installing in the machine. What are you using it for etc. Bigger is better in that they generally last longer (derating is common in industy) but if you are going for the min, then you'll need to add up the peak current draw from each piece of hardware and get at least that size of supply. This rule holds true as long as each supply rail from the PS can handle the loads from the componets installed e.g. if it'll draw 15A on the 12v rail and 20A on the 5v rail (etc.) then the supply must be able to supply not just those two requirements but the total sum of the two. IE, any given PS may do one or the other but might not do both at the same time due to the overal wattage delivered from the combined. So say your supply of choice can do 10 on 12 and 20 on 5 which equals 120w+100w=220w but the supply is limited to 200 total out of the 350w total rating.

Confused enough?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Not going to be running anything too crazy, going to save up for a graphics card once vista shows its head. Yes i'm confused. Last system I bought was an ATHLON 500 and I dont think the PSU is compatible. It hasnt got that little 4 pin conneciton.

I got the A8N-VM CSM board as it had onboard graphics and supported Purevideo.

Just going to put my RME RPM audio interface in there. Maybe a couple of hard drives (2) and a DVD writer.

Comment

A good 400+ watt supply will work as long as you don't do something crazy like go Crossfire or the like (pulling an additional 240-250w!)

Good = true power rating and optional PCF (Power Correction Factor circuitry) which normally shows that the supply is of better design, drawing less power from the wall and is normally more effecient in it's conversion
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

PC Power & Cooling has a very nice 610W supply for $159. It has all the connectors (24 + 8 + 4), several SATA + dual PCIe. It's a pretty quiet supply as well.

http://www.pcpowercooling.com - the Silencer 610 EPS12V

- Steve

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Realising that my choices may not be the best. Once I add in new case power supply and all that stuff.

1 gig of memory, Mobo, Opteron 185 was £360 ish. Forgot I only had oem ver of xp.

Might cancel the order, it's going to be over £100 cheaper buying a whole new system I think.

Whole thing for £749 incl tax and shipping, and the 3 year return to base warranty!

Elite² Duo - SLI
            Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Dual Core Processor(2.40GHz,4MB Cache,1066MHz)
            Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
            Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU - Black
            ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe PCIe Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo - ATX
            1024MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x512MB)
            300GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
            Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
            256MB nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT - Dual DVI,HDTV & TV-Out + DVI - PCI-Express
            7.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio (on-board)
            BullGuard Internet Security 6.0 -AntiVirus/Firewall/Backup/Spamfilter -90 day trial
            Classic Warranty - 3 Years Back-to-Base - Parts & Labour

Comment

Speaking of power. I read a preview of the nVidia G80 core. nV is going to recommend a 1 kW PSU for SLI G80 core setups. Something about each card sucking up 250+ W of power each.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Should be a external power supply which auto turns on when graphics needed. Or maybe just use an Xbox 360 power supply. For graphics.

Joined the dark side and bought a Dell Pretty good price too.

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
                  PC Power & Cooling has a very nice 610W supply for $159.
                  Nice PSU's but very hard to get over here and cost a fortune

Silverstone Tek/Akasa have some nice reasonably priced PSU's. Both brands are practically the same as they use the same manufacturer
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                  X