Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amish mourn killer of their children....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amish mourn killer of their children....

GEORGETOWN, Pa. (AP) — Dozens of Amish neighbors came out Saturday to mourn the quiet milkman who killed five of their young girls and wounded five more in a brief, unfathomable rampage.

Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, was buried in his wife's family plot behind a small Methodist church, a few miles from the one-room schoolhouse he stormed Monday.

His wife, Marie, and their three small children looked on as Roberts was buried beside the pink, heart-shaped grave of the infant daughter whose death nine years ago apparently haunted him, said Bruce Porter, a fire department chaplain from Colorado who attended the service.

About half of perhaps 75 mourners on hand were Amish.

"It's the love, the forgiveness, the heartfelt forgiveness they have toward the family. I broke down and cried seeing it displayed," said Porter, who had come to Pennsylvania to offer what help he could. He said Marie Roberts was also touched.

"She was absolutely deeply moved, by just the love shown," Porter said.

Leaders of the local Amish community were gathering Saturday afternoon at a firehouse to decide the future of the schoolhouse, and of the school year itself.

The prevailing wisdom suggested a new school would be built.
    >
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 8 October 2006, 16:33.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

One thing that I cannot understand about all this is I keep hearing about forgiveness for the family. They had nothing to do with this. Why does everything I read keep indicating that they are/need to be forgiven?
    Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 9 October 2006, 07:33.

Comment

Well, if my father or close relative had done that, I would feel incredibly guilty.. whether or not it had been my fault. The reassurance that there is no blame is a great comfort I'm sure.

Comment

You're both right, IMHO.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What az said.
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

In the minds of the Amish the killer isn't around to forgive, so they impart it to his kin. It may sound odd to outsiders, but it's very important in their world view. So is looking after his wife/kids as fellow sufferers. Trust me, they will take that seriously as evidenced by their setting up a fund for his kids. It's just the way of a culture that their 'English' neighbors greatly respect.
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 9 October 2006, 02:21.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
              In the minds of the Amish the killer isn't around to forgive, so they impart it to his kin. It may sound odd to outsiders, but it's very important in their world view. So is looking after his wife/kids as fellow sufferers. Trust me, they will take that seriously as evidenced by their setting up a fund for his kids. It's just the way of a culture that their 'English' neighbors greatly respect.
              Hmm. That seems to make the most sense. Something to learn from.

Comment

Working...
              X