Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AV receiver: Denon 2807 or Marantz sr6001

Hello,

My parents are planning new equipment; part of this will be a home cinema amplifier. I was looking at the Denon AVR2807. Most interesting features are the Audyssey MultEQ-XT (auto room setup), conversions from any format to hdmi (TV will have a 1080p panel) and second zone for audio (left/right) and video (composite/s-video). It also has 3 user mode buttons, which I think would be welcome for my parents (basically, these buttons are presets for different functions, which adjust modes and so on).

The dealer can order Denon on request, but suggested the upcoming Marantz SR6001 (which is in the same price range). It will also have the Audyssey system, has similar features (though fewer inputs), but lacks the second zone (it only supports audio in a second zone).

I'm wondering about this second zone thing as my parents have digital cable (thus a set top box, only in the livingroom) and will buy a hdd recorder. My idea was to use the second zone as a means of getting video/audio from the set top box or the hdd recorder to a second TV set.
    I'm not at home with multiroom systems, but isn't this the general idea: that you can send audio/video from a source in one room to another room?
    (or am I seeing the multiroom thing incorrectly?)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Go with Marantz or Yamaha. Denon has changed their manufacturing and product focus to the point that they are no longer really considered high end unless you shell our for the 4 or 5 series AVR. But at that price point there is better for the same or less.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Is that a global change?
      I remember that Onkyo hifi equipment (just before they went to home cinemas) had different specifications for the US and Europe (they were not as good in the US).

My brother has the AVR3805, but was still considered high end. Of course, it is a few years old, so perhaps it is from before the change you mentioned?

All I know is that the Marantz/Philips cooperation has stopped, and that the Denon/Nakamichi (if I'm not mistaken) cooperation has also stopped, and that there now is a Marantz/Denon alliance (check the links page on the Marantz website). They also belong to the group holding McIntosh, Boston, Snell, ....

Jörg
      Last edited by VJ; 20 October 2006, 04:09.
      pixar

Comment

Don't know for sure. All I know is that a lot of high end audio shops have dumped Denon in favor of Marantz in the states. But I'm pretty sure all Denon equipment is made in Asia and then sent off globally, so whatever changes were made are *probably* on a global scale.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks!
          I'm now leaning more towards the Marantz (even though it has slightly less features).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
            Don't know for sure. All I know is that a lot of high end audio shops have dumped Denon in favor of Marantz in the states. But I'm pretty sure all Denon equipment is made in Asia and then sent off globally, so whatever changes were made are *probably* on a global scale.
            I second that. From what I have read Marantz seems like a higher quality product.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
            X