Maximal frustration.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximal frustration.

I just came home from a trip in the US. A couple of days in NY and I’ve had little hope to be able to visit one of the World’s biggest camera store, B&H.
    We should have landed SEP 21, around 01:10 pm to the Newark airport, but we started later and landed one hour later. But, someone in our group couldn’t reclaim his/her luggage. Further one our delay.
    I gave up when we’ve been stationary in the traffic jam in front of the Lincoln Tunnel on way to Manhattan. Finally I came to the hotel at 7 pm. No chance to run to B&H. Next day, SEP 22 morning I’ve had to stay with the group and B&H closed earlier this day, because the Rosh Ha Shana Eve. Saturday and Sunday closed. So I missed it. Nothing to do, I said. I went to the top of the Empire State Building and looked down where I though B&H is lying.
    Closer to B&H I didn’t come.

At home I sorted my souvenirs and than I turned around my ticket to the Empire State Building and guess what is printed on it? Look at this photo of the ticket. I didn't see it than, but it coudn't help, anyway.

I am frustrated and unlucky.
    But I’ve seen a lot from NY through Philadelphia, Washington DC, Gettysburg, Niagara Falls, Detroit, and finally Chicago. I’ve been compensated for the rest of my life.
    I shut 420 photos anyway.
    /Fred
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

So, what did you like the most from your trip? Or what place?

Andy.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Originally posted by ND66
      So, what did you like the most from your trip? Or what place?

Andy.
      careful, fred! trick question!

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Hehe, yes. It is a sensitive question. But I don’t care. It was my first trip to the US and everything was new, big and a valuable experience. A big experience lasting for the rest of my life.
        There was a lot I liked there. And a few I didn’t.

The ground Zero was a sentimental experience. My eyes been filled with tears. At the same time I’ve been angry.

I liked the NY streets I walked around. I felt safe in comparison with some other places, even in comparition of my country.
        No, no. He will not shoot me.

In New York we’ve had the pleasure to see the musical Mamma Mia on the Broadway. The right words are: it was fantastic.

What I did not like was the darkness in Washington DC by evening/night.
        The streetlamps are nice, but there are frighten too many shadows on the streets by night.
        However, the lights were fine over the Lincoln Memorial in WDC by night.
        I liked the Roosevelt Memorial. I shut some evening photos there. Unfortunately my Coolpix 995 has a lot of hot pixels on the CCD.
        This photo was taken just from the Roosevelt Memorial.

The biggest impression made the Niagara Falls. We went a tour with the Maid of the Mist. It was very exciting.

And the Horseshoe falls. Here, seen from the Skylon Tower, by night.

Our end station was Chicago. I think the streets are wider and cleaner there. I’ve had the feeling that I am in Canada, probably because we went through Canada to Chicago.
        The most interesting here was “The Bean.” Here is a photo about it.

Finally, I must mention these fine ribs and a Guinness I was eating in Washington DC.
        It took me just ten minutes to clean the plate.

Now I am working with the photos and the sorting of souvenirs.
        /Fred
        Last edited by Fred H; 8 October 2006, 08:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfman
          careful, fred! trick question!

mfg
          wulfman
          Hey, can't ask a man a simple question anymore or what?

Now, if those were from someone else... ...but me? Since when did I get this reputation?

The Washington DC is worse then in NY or Chicago when comes to walking around safe, no wonder it did feel funny.

And for the “Bean”, it did cost more $ to polish that thing then to build it. The estimate was $6 millions, just to build it and put it in place almost 12 mil. And the total cost was like $23 millions.

I have to mention this to you, not sure if you knew about it:

Millennium Park is often considered the largest roof garden in the world, having been constructed on top of a railroad yard and large parking garages.
          As for me, I like Chicago at night more then during the day… :

Comment

Wow, ND66. Very nice photos. I like night photos, but unfortunately I didn't have my Nikon D70 on my trip, neither some tripod and I was forced to use my old Nikon Coolpix995 (3.1 Mpx). You can see the hot pixels on my night photos.
            Here is a view from my hotel, the HollydayInn in Chicago.
            You can see the poor quality.
            About "The Bean" I didn't know how much did it cost to polish it, but I can imagin that the whole thing was not cheap at all.
            /Fred
            Last edited by Fred H; 9 October 2006, 23:07.

Comment

when i went to NYC i didnt get to do one thing i wanted to do and we were there a week! next time im going alone. as for your night city pics they are great. i couldnt find a parking lot in chicago so i just skipped it completely
              www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Those are not my pics, sorry.

Last time I was taking night pictures in Downtown Chicago was many years ago and they are somewhere........need to dig them out.

Liz, when it comes to parking, finding one by the street it’s almost impossible. Especially with that event happening when you were around. One of the biggest parking garages is underneath the Millennium Park, accessible from Monroe Street. And it’s in a middle of the most beautiful area of downtown Chicago, the Michigan Ave stretch.
                From the Planetarium you have one of the most magnificent views of downtown Chicago, day or night, over the water with hundreds of sail boats parked in front of it (summer time). That’s from being far away, panoramic view.
                For a close up view, Chicago River and Michigan Ave. is the best area. All buildings are build to face the river.
                Then going north on Michigan Ave. (especially around Christmas) and of course, the Millennium Park, Navy Pier and Buckingham Fountain.

Comment

i forget what event was happening when i was there?

next time im just going to plan to go to chicago and get a hotel downtown and trek it.
                  www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                  X