Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana may block Alzheimers

Scripps Research Institute research.

Janda's team found that THC blocks an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase, which speeds the formation of amyloid plaque in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease.

The Alzheimer's drugs Aricept and Cognex work by blocking acetylcholinesterase. When tested at double the concentration of THC, Aricept blocked plaque formation only 22% as well as THC, and Cognex blocked plaque formation only 7% as well as THC.

"THC and its analogs may provide an improved [treatment for] both the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer's disease," the researchers conclude.
    Still in the most preliminary stages but VERY interesting.

Kevin

Wonder if Marinol has the same effect? Hmmm....

It's already available by prescription.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

what is marinol?
      /meow
      Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      Asus Striker ][
      8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
      Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Synthetic THC taken orally and generally available to cancer patients for whom other anti-nausea treatments have proven ineffective.

Kevin

Comment

But unfortunately without the buzz (right?)
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

From the marinol.com website:

MARINOL® has been proven to be safe and generally well tolerated. The most frequently reported side effects during clinical studies involved the nervous system and included dizziness, feelings of exaggerated happiness, paranoid reaction, drowsiness, and thinking abnormally.
            So the answer to your question would be a qualified "yes."

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
              Synthetic THC taken orally and generally available to cancer patients for whom other anti-nausea treatments have proven ineffective.

Kevin
              ok, not what i was thinking about. I have neighbours who sell MJ pills; these are all natural but with almost no THC content.

theory is that there are a plethora of chemicals in pot (other than THC) that are benificial.. especially for aches and pains. they of coarse swear by them but i haven't tried myself.

is this pure THC that they testing with or a concentrate of the chemicals found in MJ?
              /meow
              Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
              Asus Striker ][
              8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
              Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

I find it ironic that the "war on drugs" types have spent years insisting that marijuana CAUSES alzheimer's.

*snort*
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Never saw a claim that it causes Alzheimers, but have seen numerous studies that long term use can cause other cognitive deficits we used to call "the Spicoli Syndrome".
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                    Never saw a claim that it causes Alzheimers, but have seen numerous studies that long term use can cause other cognitive deficits we used to call "the Spicoli Syndrome".
                    Haven't been watching much anti-drug propaganda then, have you? I would imagine that the health-care types have more informative posters, but ...
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                    X