Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the M$ Natural 4000 keyboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using the M$ Natural 4000 keyboard?

Just got one of these after Erik spilled about half a gallon of root beer on my old Natural (have carpel tunnel & need it). 'tis neat having those 5 programmable keys + the web, email, volume, mute, play/pause, next/previouis & calculator buttons and especially the image ZOOM control and embedded wrist pad. Paid ~$50 and am very pleased so far, though the keys 'touch' is a bit different. Nothing I can't get used to in a day or two.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 October 2006, 06:08.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Looks nice...
    Are you sure you didn't tell Erik to spill rootbeer just so you could buy a new keyboard?

For extensive typing, I purchased the Datahand Professional II keyboard, as I suffer from rheumatic arthritis. The keyboard is ridicilously expensive, but quite comfortable to work on (takes some getting use to).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Rheumatoid? Ick...I'll keep the CTS

Dunno if I could get used to the Datahand. Maybe get one of those BCI jobs when they go commercial & don't require surgery
      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        Dunno if I could get used to the Datahand.
        Well, it doesn't differ THAT much from other keyboards. The main issue with it is if you keep switching between the datahand and a normal keyboard. Currently, I can't type as fast on the datahand as I can normally, but it is fast enough for when I'm writing scientific articles (it makes me think more about my sentences).

Maybe get one of those BCI jobs when they go commercial & don't require surgery
        Reminds me, my mother underwent CTS surgery some 15 years ago. Oddly enough, they performed it on both hands at the same time. Recovery was relatively fast (but cumbersome: both hands immobilized). And she hasn't had issues since.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I dislike the ergonomics of the new natural keyboards. I know it's supposed to be better, but it just feels "wrong", as opposed to the older naturals which felt "right".

But it's moot - I do most of my work on a laptop now and bought a Logitech UltraX to work with at home anyway.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I've got that keyboard. I like it a good bit, but I wish the majority of the keys were actually programmable. You can make them start IE, or start IE, or start the calculator...

And I really wish the stupid zoom trigger could be reprogrammed as a scroller or something.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              I dislike the ergonomics of the new natural keyboards. I know it's supposed to be better, but it just feels "wrong", as opposed to the older naturals which felt "right".
              I agree.. I got 2 original natural keyboards still sealed in shrinkwrap when I saw them for a good price on ebay, because I didn't want to have to get something else when this one wore out.. problem is, this one has never worn out.

Comment

Wombat;

If you install Intellitype 5.3 (came with my keyboard) you can program most of the silver keys to start any program you want. In terms of the web key it starts the my default browser: Firefox.

For the other keys you start Control Panel/Keyboard, browse to Key Settings and the key then click Edit. Here you can follow the wizard opt to start another program, perhaps a new calculator or whatever;

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                X