Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse (cursor) behaves erratically

Hi there y'all,

Since a couple of days (I'd say about 10-12) my mouse cursor is behaving in a very strange way: from time to time it jumps to the bottom left of the screen and does a right-click automatically. Other times it goes to the bottom of the screen and pulls my taskbar out and stretches it to 2, 3 or even 8 times its normal height. Sometimes it makes the taskbar completely disappear.

Getting sick and tired of it, who can help?

Abit BH6 (BIOS KG)
    Mill. G200 (BIOS 2.3 – driver 4.51)
    Mouse: MouseMan Wheel (driver 8.32)
    Windows 98
    IE5

Thanks,

Robbo

Have you opened it up yet? Tried cleaning it?

It's possible one of the motion-wheels around the ball is broken.

Just open the mouse up, and check the inside.
    Clean it of all dust and grime (use a scissors or knife to lose the grime on the motion-wheels/bars). You can try losen the grime with a cotton-swab dipped in alcohol.

Did this work somehow?

Jorden.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the tip Jorden, but this is not the problem. The mouse starts clicking automatically too: whenever it screams around the screen to a new position it also issues a right mouse click.....

BTW, I did clean it: ziltch!

Comment

Robbo,

Well, there can only be a couple of things wrong:

1. You installed new hardware or software and it is either conflicting with an IRQ or address or the new software created a new bug.

2. You updated your mouse driver(which actually falls into number 1.

3. Your mouse is broken.

I believe a mouseman is a logitech mouse which means your mouse is probably new and therefore the mouse being broken is probably not the problem. I've had similar problems with my old mouse and it was due to software drivers between my mouse driver and my video card which would give me problems with Netscape. An update in my video card driver fixed the problem. Try removing the mouse driver and just use the default mouse driver that comes with windows.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Maybe checking for a VIRUS could help ...

------------------
          Cheers,
          Maggi

Asus P2B-S - Celeron 500A (!) - Mystique G200 @ 162MHz PowerStrip - 8MB SDRAM

Comment

Hi guys,

I did check for viruses (nothing found). About the new Logitech driver: the mouse's strange behaviour was the reason to install version 8.32 (previous was 8.20). Upgrading the driver didn't change a thing.

Maybe I'm looking at a complete re-install of W98..... But I'll wait with that 'till I've got a CD-RW drive. That way I can back-up things first! I'm not sure which drive to get though: Yamaha's 4416s or Ricoh's 7040s (GA mid May). Both these SCSI drives seem good deals.....

Robbo

Comment

Solved my mouse trouble: suddenly remembered fiddling 'round with RAS to CAS delay times and stuff alike. Reset it from 2 to 3 and guess what: mouse isn't behaving like a wild thing anylonger.

Never thought that these memory timings could inflict paranoid behaviour on mice....

Robbo

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment