Outlook IMAP over 8080?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook IMAP over 8080?

We use outlook at work to connect to the local mail server. Connections to the outside world are somewhat restricted and only port 8080 is open. I have contacted our IT department to see if there is a non-standard port open for IMAP but it would appear that all others are closed.

At the moment, my only solution is to access mail via IMAP over HTTP - ie from a webmail interface. This works fine, but it is a PITA.

Our IT department have said that I can try to connect to my IMPA server 'if I can find a workaround'. Any thoughts on how I can get outlook to conect to my IMAP server via port 8080 instead of the default 143?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I wonder... I assume that I need to tell outlook to listen on port 8080, which is easy enough to do. I guess I would need to setup something similar with my IMAP server too?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

So you want to connect the office mail server to your IMAP server or access your IMAP server from work?
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

The latter. I simply want to connect to my imap server through work's firewall. The only port that they say is open is 8080.

Comment

I'm wondering about some port forwarding system... I used to do that to be able to access a secure server from applications that didn't natively support it. On mindterm (SSH terminal client), I configured it so that some local ports were forwarded to other ports. I then had to connect with Mindterm first, after which the other applications could connect to localhost.

Perhaps there is software that you can run (perhaps an SSH terminal to your server) and configure to forward port 143 to 8080; and then configure the Outlook to connect to the localhost...?

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

You might be able to use the port mapper here to do it

When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yes, that is what I meant!

But thinking of it, I'm not sure if it would work though.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

hmm... not much joy there... any other tips?

Comment

Working...
                X