X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another "about time!!" story

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/10....ap/index.html

Rebuilding shop classes in U.S. high schools

SAN DIEGO, California (AP) -- Oscar Sandoval wanted to learn how to fix cars, but his high school's auto shop became a student health clinic long ago.

He couldn't transfer to a school with an auto shop so he resigned himself to tinkering at home.

"Just because I don't live in that area doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to take it," complained Sandoval, a senior at Hoover High School.

Vocational education classes, once commonplace, began to languish as standardized tests started to determine success and failure and college became a singular goal. Now called career technical education courses, they are beginning to enjoy a renaissance.

Legislators in North Carolina and Florida are reviving programs gutted years ago. The movement is also gaining momentum in California, thanks in part to a 2006 state budget that includes $100 million for program expansion.

Congress also has voted to reauthorize $1.3 billion for career-based courses in high schools and community colleges, which President Bush had pushed to eliminate so more funds could be steered toward reading and math courses.

At Hoover High, Principal Doug Williams is committed to bringing back auto shop classes.

"When our students are connected to a person or a program, they seem to do better than those kids that are not connected, are struggling academically and are potential dropouts," he said.

Around the country, high schools are being transformed into career academies or adding smaller vocational schools within their buildings. In Chicago, Mayor Richard Daley recently announced an initiative that will let high school students become qualified to work in particular industries. Students would then use their certificates to find high-skill, high-paying jobs.

In some places where course offerings are slim, community colleges or regional occupational training centers offer career education to high school juniors and seniors.

It will still take a lot of work to resuscitate even a semblance of the programs that existed 30 years ago, vocational education advocates say.
    Our district high school takes this much further, adding restaurant management/chef classes (there is even a cafe + bakery on campus run by the kids), a robotics dept, business management, a full garage with 4 bays, wood & metal shops to die for (with CNC), a technology lab etc. etc.
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 October 2006, 15:53.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Odd that it mentions Florida reviving these courses and yet the high school I attended had a few different shop classes. I graduated in '97, so it wasn't that awful long ago, though I guess 9 years is enough time for something like that to change. Then again, maybe the fact that the school was next to the projects made them think we might need those classes to prepare us for our future (as in not college)

Still, good to see that they're starting to come back and expand out. Even college-bound students can learn something in those classes.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Especially humility and respect for different skillsets. Too many college grads think those without a sheepslin are somehow inferior. Tech/trade school types often have an abundance of common sense and practicality sometimes 'educated' out of students by todays academia.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
      X