Weird overlay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird overlay problem

I have an old PC with a Radeon 9200 and 2 outputs: 1x DVI and 1x VGA. Overlay is visible on the main screen only, or so it's supposed to work.

But now I installed WinDVD 6 and this constantly complains even on the main screen that there's an error creating the overlay, drop res and color depth (which of course doesn't help). If I disable the secondary screen it works, but if I re-enable it while video plays the overlay turns dark... until I shift it over to the second monitor and maximise it there. Well... most of the time, sometimes it stays dark.

Anyone who can make head or tails from this? I'm stumped.

Apulo
    Apulo

I presume Theater Mode is turned on?
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's greyed out. It shows it's on but in greyed out fashion.

In the mean time I deinstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers (ATI should be shot - you need dotnet which in turn needs Windows Installer, what a mess for a simple gfx driver) and tried again.

Now I simply cannot activate the second monitor. Each time I click "apply" the second monitor is greyed out again.

edit: I thought it might be the card is out of resources, because I'm using a 1920*1200 digital display on the DVI output, but if I reduce the resolution on the DVI to 800*600 it still doesn't work (need 800x600 on the second display as well, so 2x this resolution should be possible)
      Last edited by Apulo; 3 October 2006, 10:17.
      Apulo

Comment

OK, got the second output activated again, but the selection for Theatre Mode stays grayed out, I can't select any part of this section. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

Apulo
        Apulo

Comment

I would guess that you got the Dell 24" monitor. I will be interested to see if you can solve your problems. Have you tried running the Dell via VGA? I get a very noticable flicker when I use that on my Dell 24" LCD. I am going to try a GeForce based video card on my system sometime this winter.

Good Luck
          Ted
          Premiere PRO XP Pro
          Asus P4s533
          P4-2.8
          Matrox G450
          RT.x100
          45 GIG System Drive
          120 Export Drive
          Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
          Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
          17" P4-3 HT
          1024 RAM
          32 MEG GForce
          60 GIG 7200RPM HD
          80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
          DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Hi Ted,

yes, I have a Dell 24" monitor. After a complete WinXP Pro reinstall, the problem stays the same. I can't use the VGA output - I have 4 PCs attached via a digital KVM DVI switch.

I want to use an 800x600 control monitor on the VGA output (this one has no digital input).

Sofar I solve the issue by switching the control monitor to primary display each time I use it, and back again when I don't.
            Apulo

Comment

Working...
            X