Strange HDTach Result???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange HDTach Result???

Hi.. I was wondering if something is wrong with my system because HDTach reports the following :

It seems that other people don't have such a large data drop off rate when using this benchmark.

The Hard Drive in question is a 8.6GB seagate medalist (not pro) 8641 (model ST38641A)

I am guessing its my motherboards (QDI Brilliant 1) IDE interface because in an Abit BX6 board it was practically level at 8.2MB/s?

Any theories you want to throw around?

Charles

(Out of school and bored and looking for something to do until June 17 )

------------------
    PII-350@412(4*103), QDI Brilliant 1 (Bios 1.4SL), 256MB Ram, SB PCI128, Matrox Mystique G200+8MB (Altered Ramdac to 250 from 230)(Bios 2.2, Drivers 4.51, OpenGL Beta2) , 12MB Monster Voodoo2, Daytek 1536D 15" (1024*768*60Hz Max) 8.6 Seagate Medalist, LiteOn 32x, LS-120, 33.6 ISA Acer Modem. And some other stuff to boot

PII-412, 256MB, 26.8 GB, 16MB G200 Mystique, LS-120, 48x Creative CD, SB 128

I have similar results with a IBM Deskstar 8 6.5GB and a Microstar LX motherboard running a PII333.

Comment

Hi Charles,
      It looks pretty much normal for a udma hd. My seagate doesn't do as well, but my western digital does a little better on average, but the curve has a little more drop on the wd. It starts above 10 then drops gradually down to just above 5. If anyone does know any "tricks" to get more performance I would like to know, but afaik there is little that can done. Unless you use scsi.
      Matt

------------------
      BH6, 300a@504,128pc100, Delta CD, Sony DVD, SB Live, Mill. G200.

Comment

hiya, i'm replying to this because i have a qdi legend-v mb, and figured it might help somehow in telling you my hd-tach results.

read speed: max-11667 min-6787 av-10167
        random acc: 17.1
        read burst: 25.4

i'm using a samsung va34324a 4.32gb hd

lemme know if you want more info...

ps- dma is enabled

------------------
        p2 266 ¦ 64mb ¦ qdi legend-v(lx), bios 1.8sl ¦ mill g200 agp, bios 2.2, driver 4.51, dx 6.1 ¦ sb16 pnp, samsung 4.32gb, orchestra french horn2 monitor

[This message has been edited by scotty (edited 05-02-99).]
        p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

Your drive has only about 48K effective cache in operation, I guess.

Comment

meaning? (not being smart-assed here, i just dunno what yer talkin' bout)
            p2 266@300 (4x75mhz) | qdi legend-v, lx chipset, bios 2.0sl | 96 mb pc100 | mill g200agp@99mhz 8mb sg, bios 2.6, pd 5.52 | win 98se

Comment

Almost all CAV(Constant Angular Velocity) drives including HDD and CDROM exhbits this kind of performance. The drive platter spins at a constant rpm rate, and hence the data on the outer rim pass through the recording/reading heads at a higher rate then those on the inner tracks; so does the internal transfer rate of the drive. It also depends on something called "aerial density", it is kinda measure of the recording density on the drive platter, in Mbits/sq.inch, the higher it is the higher the internal transfer rate is.

Thats why some welldesigned 5400rpm drive can actually outperforms some 1st generation 7200rpm drive; simply because the former one has a higher aerial density, among other factors. In fact, aerial density is fast becoming a third performance determinant, in addition to average access(seeks) time and rpm of a HDD.

Comment

Yep.. we just took that near the end of the school semester... fun stuff that is.. LOL

Charles
                PII-412, 256MB, 26.8 GB, 16MB G200 Mystique, LS-120, 48x Creative CD, SB 128

Comment

I just have my semester completed at there:
                  <a href="http://www.storagereview.com/">Storagereviews</a>
                  I am a bad student anyway, check em out.

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!