CPU overclocking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU overclocking question

I currently have a P2/266 on an Epox EP-61BXA-M motherboard. After all I've read about the possibility of overclocking a Celeron 300A CPU to 450 MHz (or above), I'm considering trying this. I'll be doing video editing with the Matrox Marvel, and I thought that this might help speed up rendering times.

I've been told that the Epox board I have doesn't allow the changing of voltage to the CPU, thus making overclocking difficult or impractical. However, I've done some investigating and it appears that there is a product called the Powerleap Socket 370 to Slot1 Convertor that may help myself and others. Here's where you can get some info on this product:

http://www.bxboards.com/powerleap.shtml

And here is a short quote from the article:

"These convertor boards also offer owners of single slot boards interesting possibilities. The ability to tweak voltage means that the choice of motherboard to the overclocker suddenly becomes wide open - the combination of these convertor cards alongside a PPGA Celeron 300 offers a potent choice for little cost."

I've read that some 300A chips are more overclockable than others, depending on what country they're from. The Malaysian PPGA chips are supposed to be better for overclocking than the Slot 1 chips from Costa Rica. This leads me to three questions...

Are all PPGA 300A Celerons made in Malaysia?

Any comments on my idea of overclocking a 300A on my Epox board?

Any comments on the Powerleap Convertor?

Feedback on any of this would be appreciated.

-Patrick

Do you know that this PPGA 300A is the new PIII Celeron?

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden,

The Celeron 300A PPGA is NOT based on the Katmai (aka PIII) core. It is a modified P2 core with pins on it instead of on a slot 1 board.

I M Patrick,

Before you go out and buy a new CPU, try overclocking your P2 266. If you have access to an Abit mobo, or any overclocker friendly board, change the core .2 V higher than normal and set the mobo to 4x100 MHz. Most P2 266 CPU's are not multiplier locked so you can overclock very easily, especially if it is an older CPU and is well used. If it won't overclock right, or reach a much higher speed, then you can go with the Celeron rig. I am using a Celeron slocket rig (slocket = Socket 370 to Slot 1 converter) on an ASUS mobo and it works just great. Which Celeron you use shouldn't matter. If it doesn't initially overclock, just run it at 300 for a month and try again. My brother did that and his computer is running perfectly stable at 450 MHz. Hope this helps.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Well Jammrock,

Tell me how to o/c my P2 266 on the Asus P2B board then.

And about the PPGA Celeron: It has all the cache (32k L1 & 128k L2) + SIMD, and yes it's about the size of the old Pentium, except for the 370 pins (hence it won't fit in a SS7).
        But in general it's a PIII-Celeron, as the PII-Celeron is discontinued, as in not made no more.

Go check more at http://www.intel.com/design/celeron/index.htm
        Jorden.

------------------
        P2-266MHz (no O/C), 128Mb PC100, Asus P2B Bios 1.008, SB 32PnP, 1.2Gb WD HDD, 4.5Gb UDMA WD HDD,
        Win98, Dx6.1, SD-MGA-G200 AGP Bios 3.51 (2.3) (RAMDAC altered from 230 to 270, thanks Damoury!), LS-120 internal, E-Tech PC56RVP (ISA) 56kFlex Cyber-Bullet (230400 throughput); and alot of ISA & PCI slots left blank... anyone have some leftovers for me?
        liyama 17" Vision Master Pro400 @ 1280x1024, ICQ#9103941 (Auth. needed)

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 05-13-99).]
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.

The fella who originally built the computer for me is now suggesting that I get a 400a and run it at 618MHz.

I've also just read the thread, Best mobo for Celery at the Matrox Hardware site.

Decisions, decisions !!!

I guess I'll simply have to check all the links that you guys have suggested.

-Patrick

Comment

Jorden,

I went to the link you threw up and I think I know where the misunderstanding is. The Celeron has SIMD, but not SSE (Streaming SIMD Extensions, aka Katmai SIMD extensions) that is only found on Pentium III CPU's. The SIMD that is mentioned on Intels web site in for regular MMX, which is found on any Pentium MMX CPU and above. ALL of the Celeron lines are just modified PII CPU's. The Original Celeron was just a PII without the L2 Cache (runnig at 1/2 CPU speed) and the black plastic cartridge. But those Celerons sucked because they had no cache. So Intel made the Celeron A series with 128 Kb of on die (located on the same chip as the CPU) L2 cache that runs at the same speed as the CPU. This makes the Celeron run just as fast, some say even faster, than the PII and PIII (when the PIII is not using SSE).

Now we get into PPGA and Slot 1 Celerons. PPGA stands for Plastic Pin Grid Array, which is the connection type used for the CPU. The only difference in between the PPGA Celeron and the Slot 1 Celeron is how it connects to the motherboard. The old and now discontinued Celerons connect to standard PII/PIII motherboards via the Slot 1 interface. PPGA, aka Socket 370, Celerons connect to the motherboard via a modified Socket 7 pin interface. And that's it. That is the only difference in between the PPGA and Slot 1 Celerons.

As for o/c'ing the P2 266, you have 2 options:
            1) Use an overclocker friendly mobo, i.e. Abit BH6, BX6 rev. 2. These mobo's can disable the bus lock that Intel has placed to stop overclocking. Then you can set up the CPU multiplier and bus speed in the BIOS to increase the operational speed of the CPU (CPU speed = CPU Muliplier * Bus speed. i.e. 4x multiplier * 100 MHz Bus = 400 MHz CPU). You may also need to increase the core voltage on the CPU by up to .2 V to achieve a stable overclock.

2) Cover up pin B21 on the CPU and clock the CPU as described in step 1.

Here are a few Overclockers guides that are on the web:

http://www.tomshardware.com/overclock.html

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardware/celeron_oc/ (this is a Celeron overclocking guide, but since the Celeron and PII are the same thing it will work just as well).

www.overclockers.com (tells it all)

They go into more detail than I can so try them out. Hope this helps.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment

Looking for Lara !!!!

Comment