What is this wifi signal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this wifi signal?

I decided to do a little 'war driving' on the way in to work today, and frequently had my pda scan just to see what networks are out there. It is a Dell Axim X51v.

I think the majority of networks were encrypted, and most of the ones that weren't were called Belkin54g - no great surprise there!

Anyway, this 'signal' kept coming up: SSID = RIFU Laim-Altstadt, mode = Ad HOc, Ch 6, Signal = No Signal, BSS ID = [6 hex pairs I don't want to type]

I've only started seeing it recently. In fact it is there now, in my office, where nothing wifi has ever been detected before.

T.

Should I be looking for black helicopters?
    FT.

Dunno how this could help, but "Altstadt" is german for old town.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Is it just me, or is it strange that it is an ad-hoc network...?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I've seen lots of ad-hocs... coming from HP printers with wireless, broadcasting themselves out like the little print-whores they are!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Really? I could print "We're watching you" on some poor guys printer without needing to physically connect to it?

Still the name doesn't sound like something randomly chosen.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It's not the Dell PDA itself
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Really? I could print "We're watching you" on some poor guys printer without needing to physically connect to it?

Still the name doesn't sound like something randomly chosen.
              Yup, you could. But I didn't mean that your PARTICULAR ad-hoc was from a printer. Rather that it could be from just about ANYTHING.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
              X