7-Elevens revenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-Elevens revenge

Hugo Chavez comes to the UN, spews royally, unites Americans left & right and now will pay the price. I understand from a friend in the business that freestanding Citgo syations are also seeing sharply reduced sales.

Payback's a bitch

DALLAS (AP) — Convenience store operator 7-Eleven Inc. is dropping Venezuela-backed Citgo as its gasoline supplier at more than 2,100 locations and switching to its own brand of fuel.

7-Eleven drops Citgo over Chavez talk

September 27, 2006

1:55 p.m.

DALLAS (AP) -- Convenience store operator 7-Eleven Inc. is dropping Venezuela-backed Citgo as its gasoline supplier at more than 2,100 locations and switching to its own brand of fuel.

A spokeswoman for 7-Eleven said its 20-year contract with Citgo Petroleum Corp. ends next week. About 2,100 of the Dallas company's 5,300 U.S. stores sell gasoline.

Citgo is a Houston subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, and the foreign parent became a public-relations issue for 7-Eleven because of comments by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

Mr. Chavez has called President Bush the "devil" and an alcoholic. The U.S. government has warned that Mr. Chavez is a destabilizing force in Latin America.

"Regardless of politics, we sympathize with many Americans' concern over derogatory comments about our country and its leadership recently made by Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez," said 7-Eleven spokesman Margaret Chabris.

She said a boycott of Citgo gasoline would hurt the 4,000 employees of the U.S. subsidiary, who have no connection to Venezuela.

7-Eleven had been considering creating its own brand of fuel since at least early last year. Company officials said at the time that they had spoken with independent fuel distributors.

The retailer said today it will purchase fuel from several distributors, including Tower Energy Group of Torrance, Calif., Sinclair Oil of Salt Lake City, and Frontier Oil Corp. of Houston.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Did see it, sweet.
    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Yup, theres a couple Citgo stations near me and every time I go by they are empty or only have one car now.

Comment

The usual short-sighted view. Ask which it hurts, the US ex-employees looking for a new job or the Venezuelan government which has long term contracts with the US to supply n barrels of oil/year, come what may?
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Truth be told if I had any say the State Dept. would have refused his visa. Same with our bearded little friend from Iran. Screw 'em.

I assume you'd rather see us just sit back and keep sending our petrodollars down to Fidel Jr.? Thanks, but no thanks. 7-Eleven employees won't get hurt, but perhaps the Citgo people will suffer until they get new jobs. Personally I'd impound his refineries here to keep those workers going and supply them from elsewhere.

No matter how you feel about it people here are voting with their wallets, which is their absolute right to do regardless of how anyone else feels. Hell, it's ticked off the people in Boston so much that the giant Citgo sign outside Fenway Park (the Red Sox home)...a landmark in Boston for ages....could well get torn down over this issue.

Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 28 September 2006, 00:51.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

You don't suggest MOABing Caracas?

Comment

NO, just one of those new Small Diameter Bombs directly on his house
              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Citgo stations here are the highest cost gasoline suppliers in the area bar none. We're already not buying their gas because it's 20-30-40-50 cent /g more than anyother competitior. So if/when this happens, those employees who work for the company in the US already know where this is headed. They have read the 'writing on the wall' a long time ago.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'm all for tearing down the big fugly citgo sign in Boston. The thing always has parts burned out, so it looks bad. Sure, call it a landmark, but it really serves no purpose.

Oh and if it hurts the dudes who work at the citgo stations and in the attached quickie mart who can't speak english anyway, then I don't mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                    Citgo stations here are the highest cost gasoline suppliers in the area bar none. We're already not buying their gas because it's 20-30-40-50 cent /g more than anyother competitior. So if/when this happens, those employees who work for the company in the US already know where this is headed. They have read the 'writing on the wall' a long time ago.
                    Same goes for Chicago... .
                    Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Citgo is within a couple cents of 'average' here, but they're still empty as hell. When I went out this morning 3 stations on one intersection were full and the Citgo was totally empty.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The 7-11 near my house is always a penny less expensive than the mini-mart selling Mobil right next door. Plenty of folks buy there. I dunno what's worse though.. funding that Venezuelan character or funding Arabians who buy stainless steel Mercedes limos and 2000 ft skyscrapers.

Comment

But surely you don't buy fuel from a chain store like 7-11 or a multinational like Mobil. They are all conspiring against your credo. You must buy only from a Mom and Pop filling station, even if it costs 50 cents a gallon more.

Comment

I distill my own gas from seaweed in my basement.

Comment

Oh dear! You are therefore depriving the Mom and Pop guys from earning a living AND the State and Federal governments from taxes due on the fuel you buy. If everyone distilled their fuel from seaweed, other taxes would need to be raised

Comment

Working...
                              X