Bad caps on an AMD 64 mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad caps on an AMD 64 mobo

remember all those bad capacitors we were plagued by some years ago?

We still regularly get socket A and slot A motherboards that needs cap replacements and some p3 motherboards.

But this is the first time I've seen in on a Socket 754 motherboard
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Well, since the manufacturer also used cheap, low quality chipset it's no wonder they also used low quality caps

Comment

Huh? I dont have any problems (so far) with mine.

What mobo is that, Technoid? I've passed up 2 or 3 opportunities to upgrade my S754 A64 3400 system recently. Maybe I shouldn't pass over the next one. Although I wouldn't want a customer/friend to have a problem.
      FT.

Comment

It's one of SiemensFujitsu's own custom boards

and according to my soldering obsessed coworker those caps was a good brandname, so I figgure SF took a calculated risk and specifikally bought a secondgrade batch
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

You'll always get some percentage fail, admittedly most are at either end of the 'bath tub curve'. Start worrying when you see your second and third...
          FT.

Comment

The caps probably got too hot (not enough airflow from the CPU fan) or got some "dirty" energy from the voltage regulators.

Anyway, this is just one board, not a sign of the apocalypse or something.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              The caps probably got too hot (not enough airflow from the CPU fan) or got some "dirty" energy from the voltage regulators.

Anyway, this is just one board, not a sign of the apocalypse or something.
              well, there was definitly enough airflow so we can rule that out.

And the first of a kind is always something extra

Comment

Recently one of the motherboards we had in one machine at work started to go really wonky, not having anything else laying around at the moment we soldered new caps on to the Fujitsu siemens mobo and got some fun results when it tried to come to terms with the Sempron 64 cpu we plugged into it

First boot up:

After updating the bios (wich was a pain to find on FS site )

Alright, we have some improvement

Hehe, its having a hard time making up its mind

Comment

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

This guy (US) sells cap kits etc

Badcaps - Capacitor Search Engine & Electronics Repair Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X