Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall IDF 2006: Intel Shows Quad-Core Kentsfield

Title says it all... .

Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

AMd is rumored to have pushed up their quad core CPUs to match the Core 2 Quad launch date. Though the AMD quad is rumored to be Socket F (1207 pins) which will make mobos more expensive. It should be an interesting holiday buying season, and really drive down dual core CPU's to the sub-$100 price range by Q2 07, if not earlier.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Socket F is the platform that is 'open' for the Opterons.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I read an article that says that AMD is supposed to use the same socket as current opteron's (940 I think) for the new quad core. Too bad I can't find that article.
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
          I read an article that says that AMD is supposed to use the same socket as current opteron's (940 I think) for the new quad core. Too bad I can't find that article.
          I think that I've seen in too... but where?
          Diplomacy, it's a way of saying “nice doggie”, until you find a rock!

Comment

Here's the article I was refering to from DigiTimes.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) plans to launch three 90nm Athlon 64 FX processors intended for its 4x4 platform (a two-socket board, each containing a dual-core processor) in mid-November, with an aim to counter Intel's planned launched of its Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU, according to sources at Taiwan motherboard makers who are familiar with AMD's latest roadmap.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) plans to launch three 90nm Athlon 64 FX processors intended for its 4x4 platform (a two-socket board, each containing a dual-core processor) in mid-November, with an aim to counter Intel's planned launched of its Core 2 Extreme QX6700 CPU, according to sources at Taiwan motherboard makers who are familiar with AMD's latest roadmap.

The three Athlon 64 FX processors will be marketed under the FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 names and have clock frequencies of 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz and 3.0GHz, respectively, with all models having 2MB (2x1MB) L2 cache and a TDP (thermal design point) of 125W, the sources indicated.

Although the major specifications of the FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 are similar to those of AMD's Athlon 64 FX-60, FX-62 and FX-64, the new Athlon 64 FX CPUs will utilize the Socket 1207 connector being used in AMD's server processors, instead of the Socket AM2 or the Socket 939, the sources noted.

However, the adoption of the Socket 1207 connector requires more design work for motherboards makers, and therefore, will push up board prices, stated Taiwan motherboard makers. As a result, Intel's Core 2 Extreme QX6700 may still hold a cost advantage over the new Athlon 64 FX lineup, contended the makers.
            I guess it was 4x4, not quad cores, that AMD pushed up.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
            X