Usbcell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usbcell

A NiMH battery system that recharges from a USB port. Looks like everything from AAA to phone batteries.

This domain name has been registered with Gandi.net. It is currently parked by the owner.

Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Pretty sweet. Though I can see the AA and like batteries being less than useful given most things require more than one. Still, nice use of the technology.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

With the price being at double and more like 3x the price of Energizer 2500mah AA cells (sold at Walmart) and considering NiMH cells are 1.25vdc it take less time for these batteries to stop running your device then you would expect. Combine that with their puny 1300mah rating (nearly half what can be had) and I say no thanks.

If you get the Duracell brand 2500mah AA 8 pack @ WallyWorld it's over a dollar less than the Energizers 8 pack price (~$16.50 vs $17.90)

Nice spin on old tech, but unless you've got a hub in your pocket and no other means of charging, these are next to worthless IMHO
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Someone needs to comeout with standard size rechargeable lithium ion batteries.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
          Someone needs to comeout with standard size rechargeable lithium ion batteries.
          There is only one issue with doing this, Lithium rechargable batteries (any type, be it Polymer, Mg or standard Ion) CANNOT be charged with a standard charger and there is the reason why they don't. Even then there is the issue with cell balancing which is also critical (all cells must be within =<0.1vdc MAX of each other UNDERLOAD not just in static state (typical is 0.05vdc). Additionally you cannot depleat them below 2.7vdc per cell (most including myself claim 3.0vdc) or exceed their maximum C rating (discharge rate). All cells used must be of the same rating and charge state as anyother when used in multicell packs. Cells cannot be be of mixed values or state EVER! Todo otherwise would invarably cause fires, toxic gas fuming etc. Thus many massive lawsuits because Jill and Joe Dumbass wouldn't or didn't heed the warnings, burn up their homes, cars and or themselves... guaranteeing children would get hurt. There are countless reports of personal and property damage in the industry to date.

Even those of us who do use these cells on a regular basis sometimes forget the set of rules that guide us of the absolutely neccessary safety code. Most places where you can buy the individual cells require you to heed their disclaimer before you can even see the batteries as a means to prevent idiot lawsuits (al be it weak and doubtful it'll hold up in court), Laywers require disclaimers to be in place regardless.

Even then there is that, but I did EXACTLY as required and it went POOF.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X