Why kids and electronics do not mix!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why kids and electronics do not mix!

So I came home one day, and after about an hour my wife says very matter-of-factly, "By the way, Javan [my oldest] pulled a cable out from your computers speakers and plugged it in somewhere strange. There was a pop and some sparks and now your speakers don't work." Sure enough, when I try to turn on the power the power LED is dead.

Today I finally got around to pulling out the amp from my old, like the first batch of Klipsch Pro Media 4.1 with the control pod upgrade, speaker system and see that the fuse has blown but everything else looks okay. No big deal, a quick run to Radio Shack yields a 5A, 250 V replacement fuse. So I throw the fuse in, power on and ... POP ... followed by the most dreaded odor of all electronics geeks: burnt plastic. Opening back up amp and doing a more thorough examination of the power stages yields this:

Two of the, what I'm pretty sure are, opamps are blown to all hell!

*sigh*

This is why my main stereo is locked in my bedroom. Anyway, I have neither the time nor the desire to rebuild the amp and figure out what happened, so if anyone wants it I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. One of the speakers are broken and thrown out (another mishap caused my oldest during one of his devilish moods), but there are three working speakers and the sub drivers seem to be in good shape. This has the upgraded control pod with the better preamp and the headphone out and MP3 player input.

So Jesse ... what speaker system did you finally go with again?

Jammrock

PS - The Macro mode on my new camera rules!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Reminds me of when Erik, then 3 years old, got into the lab and decided to stick a long, thin Phillips screwdriver into the back of my main video systems 600 watt power supply

Daddy was not happy
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

At the end of the day guys - frustrating/annoying though it maybe.
      Be thankful your kids are OK - shoving screwdrivers into things electronic could have ended with a totally different story to my "xxxxxx equipment" is now broken.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        So Jesse ... what speaker system did you finally go with again?
        Well, first off, that sucks. Lost a TV due to child experimentation once. No hope of repair with that one (as in a new TV cost far less than repair work would have).

I ended up getting basically the same pair of speakers Damian had, the Logitech x-230 2.1 2-Piece Dual Drive Speakers with Ported Subwoofer (yep, copied that straight from Amazon ). Decently pleased with them, but they are most definitely not for any 'serious' audio enjoyment. I'll let KvH define 'serious'
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

You're really happy with Logitech speakers? I ask because I just threw away some Soundman speakers I bought a few years ago, I thought they were *that* bad.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have never been a fan of Logitech for anything, but after a few recommendations they seemed to work for what I needed (which I don't think is what Jamm is going to need/want). So yeah, so far I'm happy with them for their purpose.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
            X